Habib Nasrullah is a former Assistant United States Attorney who concentrates his practice as trial and national coordinating counsel on mass tort, and complex product liability and commercial litigation. Habib has substantial experience in this role, in both federal and state courts, representing several global corporations and the United States. He is frequently called upon to manage and litigate mass torts involving dockets of several thousand cases, including some recent emerging mass torts involving allegations based in professional negligence against healthcare providers, and nationwide food contamination epidemics.
Since returning to private practice, Habib has also represented various pharmaceutical and healthcare companies in multidistrict product liability litigation involving an array of branded and generic drug products and healthcare services. His role includes development and coordination of litigation strategy, the selection of expert witnesses, creation of Daubert and preemption motions, trial preparation and trial. Habib works with clients and local counsel to conceptualize and implement a coherent and effective litigation plan for litigation that is often pending in multiple jurisdictions. He has been brought in to try cases involving complex expert and evidentiary issues with potentially large losses when trial is imminent.
Habib's background as a federal prosecutor often results in his becoming involved in civil cases where there is a "parallel" criminal investigation. He also conducts internal investigations and counsels individual and corporate clients on a variety of federal and state compliance issues in the healthcare, aviation and financial institution sectors.
A representative sampling of cases that Habib has recently handled includes the following:
- Trial and national coordinating counsel for a generic drug manufacturer in nationwide litigation involving Metoclopramide, Sodium Alendronate, Allopurinol, and Finasteride;
- Trial and national coordinating counsel for a pharmaceutical distributor in nationwide litigation involving Zoloft, Effexor, and Fen-Phen;
- Trial counsel for dental clinic involving allegations of overtreatment of pediatric patients;
- Regional counsel for food distributor involving allegations of Listeria contamination resulting in multiple deaths;
- Trial counsel for water softener manufacturer involving allegations of bacterial contamination resulting in Crohn's disease; and
- Trial counsel in bad faith case involving significant water damage claims at a nursing home facility.
A representative sampling of cases that Habib handled for the United States includes the following:
- Successfully tried a case filed by a sitting county court judge in southern Colorado for alleged violations of the Privacy Act stemming from the conduct of FBI agents;
- Trial counsel for the Denver Mint in sexual harassment and hostile work environment law suit based upon an alleged assault on a female employee by a supervisor;
- Prosecuted a Mexican national for failure to pay child support resulting in the second highest award of restitution obtained by the United States Government in a federal child support prosecution for which Habib was awarded the Inspector General's Integrity Award by the Office of the Inspector General of the Health and Human Services Department;
- Litigated multiple issues of first impression in the District of Colorado concerning computer forensic evidence under the Adam Walsh Child Safety and Protection Act of 2006.
United States Attorney's Office (District of Colorado)
Parcel, Mauro, Hultin & Spaanstra, P.C.
McKenna, Conner & Cuneo LLP
Commercial Litigation, 2013-2015
Product Liability Litigation, 2012-2015
The Legal 500 United States
Litigation: Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense, 2013, 2015
Colorado Super Lawyers
Business Litigation, 2006, 2010-2015
Top 100, 2013-2015
Commercial Litigation - Colorado, 2013-2015
Insurance Litigation - Colorado, 2013 -2015
Product Liability - Colorado, 2013-2015
Personal Injury - Colorado, 2013-2015
Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
Diversity & The Bar
Law Firm Rainmakers, 2011
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Certificate of Appreciation for outstanding prosecutive skills and assistance as an Assistant United States Attorney, 2008
United States Department of Justice, Office of Inspector General, Denver Field Office
Professionalism Award, 2008
United States Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Inspector General
Integrity Award for major contributions as an Assistant United States Attorney toward the goals and mission of the Inspector General
Defense Research Institute
International Association of Defense Counsel
American Bar Association
Member, Conference of Minority Partners in Majority Corporate Law Firms
Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
International Bar Association
Founder and Advisor, Internet Safety Foundation, a coalition of Colorado educational, corporate, and law enforcement interests whose mission is to be a clearinghouse for Internet safety resources
Colorado Association of Leaders in Educational Technology (CALET)
Outstanding Friend of Technology Award, 2008