Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell lawyers have represented companies engaged in the exploration, extraction, harnessing, refining, distribution, and marketing of minerals, oil and gas, and other geological materials.
We handle the litigation and arbitration of disputes for natural resources-related companies in a variety of matters, including:
- Product liability
- Environmental torts
- Personal injury defense
- Premises liability
- Employment and labor
- Franchise and distribution
- Professional liability
- Class actions
A representative sampling of matters WTO lawyers have handled includes the following:
- Defended Mobay Chemical Company (then a subsidiary of Bayer) against claims arising from the Sunshine Mining disaster, in which over 90 miners were killed in an Idaho silver mine. The allegation was that the use of polyurethane foam was an ultra-hazardous activity in a mining application. Jack Trigg worked on this case alone for three years. After a four-month trial, Mobay was dismissed at the close of the plaintiff's case. The other major defendants included the U.S. Government Department of Mine Safety, Dow Chemical Company and Mine Safety Appliance Company.
- Successfully represented at trial and on appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit a subcontractor involved in the construction of a Colorado gold mine facility in an environmental tort lawsuit brought by the mining company president.
- Represented numerous mining companies in litigation involving a bentonite mine in Wyoming, a copper mine in Montana, oil shale fields in Colorado and Utah, and solution mining of lithium in Nevada.
- Represented a subsidiary of Terex in a case involving property damage to an open pit mining face shovel.
- Tried a call action soils contamination case for Asarco involving a cadmium and lead refinery.
- Handled numerous soils and water contamination cases for clients in the mining and oil and gas industries.
- For years, have served as regional trial counsel for FMC Technologies, Inc., a leading global provider of technology solutions for the energy industry.