Bar and Court Admissions
Ben Gillig represents leading companies facing a range of complex issues at the trial and appellate levels. He has developed valuable experience briefing dispositive motions and appeals, defending depositions, responding to government investigations, and litigating breach of contract matters. Ben also has experience conducting internal investigations for boards of directors and other stakeholders, and responding to investigations by the Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission.
In addition to his regular practice, Ben has an active pro bono practice, having represented immigrants facing unlawful executive action and death row inmates. Prior to joining WTO, Ben was an associate at the San Francisco office of an AmLaw 100 firm where he handled several pro bono matters as the principal attorney. Before that, Ben was a law clerk to Hon. Jane Kelly of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. While in law school, Ben was the Editor in Chief of the Iowa Law Review, and also served a judicial externship in the Northern District of Iowa where he assisted in the administration of a two-week criminal trial.
- Won a plaintiff's jury verdict in Denver District Court for an investor in a multi-million dollar breach of contract trial. The case arose out of a mismanaged real estate development project.
- Defended depositions of senior corporate officers in a consumer class action resulting from a major blood testing controversy. Also briefed the Ninth Circuit appeal from grant of class certification.
- Briefed a successful motion to dismiss for a large pharmaceutical distribution company against False Claims Act qui tam claims filed by former employees.
- Briefed a pro bono appeal in the United States Supreme Court regarding state criminal defendants' right to a unanimous jury verdict.
- Briefed pro bono criminal appeals in the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits for clients on death row.
- Represented a class of plaintiffs harmed by a government mandated "travel ban" in a Ninth Circuit appeal from a district court injunction halting the implementation as unlawful.
Sidley Austin, LLP
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
American Bar Association
Hiking, cooking, reading history and biographies