Dmitry Vilner represents sophisticated clients in complex professional liability defense matters, with a focus on legal professional liability. Dmitry has taken active roles in trial, argued motions in court, and recently won summary judgment in two different cases on the same day. In 2018, he was recognized for appellate pro bono work through the Colorado Bar Association.
Before joining WTO, Dmitry was an associate at a litigation boutique in Denver and also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Robert D. Hawthorne and the Honorable Diana L. Terry in the Colorado Court of Appeals.
- Served as second chair in a two-day trial before the attorney disciplinary board.
- Won a published opinion in a case alleging negligence against a taxi company.
- Won summary judgment for an insurance carrier in a bad faith case involving missing cattle.
- Won a motion to dismiss in federal court, arguing that a landlord was not liable for its tenant's off-property conduct.
- Won partial summary judgment for an insurance agent who allegedly failed to notify his insured that the policy was cancelled.
- Won summary judgment for a driver in a severe truck accident case on statute-of-limitations grounds.
- Won summary judgment for an HVAC company in a personal injury case involving a borrowed company truck.
- Won a motion to dismiss for a real estate agent in a premises liability case, arguing that the client did not owe another agent a duty of care.
- Won partial summary judgment in a roofing dispute, eliminating more than 90% of the value of the claims against the client.
- Won a motion to dismiss in a case alleging a wide-ranging conspiracy to commit fraud through a "fix and flip" scheme.
- Authored an amicus brief in the Washington Supreme Court for a nationwide insurance association.
- Helped win asylum for a pro bono client from Russia.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Moderator, "Drones and the Law: Three Perspectives," Marsh Inn of Court, Apr. 7, 2016
Presenter, "The Emoluments Clause," Denver Law Club, Jan. 26, 2018
Moderator, Clerks Panel/Motions Practice, CBA Appellate CLE, Dec. 14, 2018
White and Steele, Associate
Wood, Ris, & Hames, Associate
Native Russian Speaker
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Colorado Rising Star, 2018
Colorado Defense Lawyers Association Trial Academy, 2017
Thompson G. Marsh Inn of Court, Executive Committee (2016-present)
Colorado Bar Association
Denver Bar Association
Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
International travel, hiking, playing with his 10-pound Sheltie, Ernie