Bar and Court Admissions
Hays Doan helps clients gain leverage in complex commercial and class action litigation. He has developed valuable experience handling cases involving contractual issues for both plaintiffs and defendants, as well as product liability and medical malpractice defense. Hays helps clients strategize effectively to navigate challenging cases through complex motions practice and other written arguments.
Hays has also gained experience handling various discovery processes, including leading document review teams and drafting and arguing in favor of and against motions to compel. Prior to joining WTO, Hays clerked in the Eighth Circuit, where he handled multiple appeals involving class actions and general commercial litigation issues.
- United Power, Inc. et al. v. Tri-State Generation & Transmission Ass'n. Inc., No. 19F-0521E (Colo. Public Utilities Commission) - Won a $1.25 billion exit fee dispute for an electric distributor against its generation and transmission provider. The groundbreaking decision followed one of the first remote trials in the nation in the COVID-19 era.
- Won a motion to dismiss in a consumer class action in New Jersey Federal Court.
- Won a partial motion to dismiss, as well as a substantial attorney fee award, for a healthcare provider in a medical malpractice case.
- Advised a major shipping company on potential sources of civil liability in a matter involving an alleged kickback scheme .
- Represented a New Mexico hospital in 12 medical malpractice cases involving allegations of criminal conduct against a psychiatrist.
- Successfully represented Aimco, one of the largest apartment owners in the U.S., in nationwide litigation alleging intentional torts against Airbnb. After jury selection in the first trial, Airbnb settled all litigation on terms allowing Aimco to control short-term rental activity consistent with its contract and property rights.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
The Best Lawyers in America
Ones to Watch - Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants, 2021
Fly fishing, hiking, and golfing