Bar and Court Admissions
Kristen Ferries represents sophisticated clients in complex litigation, particularly in personal injury and product liability matters. Her clients include recreation industry companies, insurance carriers, and automotive manufacturers facing serious claims at the trial and appellate levels.
Kristen has conducted direct and cross-examination of witnesses in trial and argued motions in both state and federal court. She has also gained valuable experience drafting appellate briefs and discovery motions for use in civil litigation, including for insurance bad faith trials and appeals. Kristen maintains an active pro bono practice, representing criminal defendants and prisoners in civil rights trials and appeals.
During law school, Kristen participated as a clinical student in the Cornell Law School Capital Punishment Clinic, working on a federal habeas petition for a death row inmate in South Carolina.
- Negotiated landmark settlement for a New Jersey bank in "true lender" litigation brought by the State of Colorado that threatened the viability of the multibillion-dollar fintech consumer lending industry.
- Persichette v. Owners Ins. Co., 462 P.3d 581 (Colo. 2020) - Won a groundbreaking state supreme court ruling disqualifying a client's former lawyers from participating in a lawsuit against the client. The published opinion is the first state supreme court decision that disqualifies lawyers from pursuing litigation against an insurance-company client they previously represented.
- Representing a leading ski resort in ski safety act and premises liability cases.
- Representing an insurance company in an appeal before the Tenth Circuit following denial of mandamus. Drafted appellate briefs.
- Defending an online school in an appeal of our client's summary judgment win against a large school district in Colorado. Drafted appellate answer briefs and preparing to deliver oral arguments.
- Representing automotive manufacturers in product liability and design defect cases involving serious accidents and personal injury.
- Representing trustees of investment trusts in a case involving complex and novel issues of banking and lending laws. Managed all aspects of e-discovery and assisted with case strategy.
- Assisted in the preparation of an appeal of WTO's jury trial win for a recreation industry client in a highly contentious case involving the tragic death of a minor.
- Represented Ford Motor Co. in a design defect product liability trial. Conducted direct and cross examinations of witnesses, argued jury instructions, and drafted numerous trial motions and briefs.
- Represented Auto Owners Insurance in various bad faith matters. Drafted motions to compel and appellate briefs, and successfully argued discovery disputes.
- Drafting briefs for an appeal brought against WTO's trial court win for a trucking company in a personal injury case.
- Walker v. Ford Motor Co. - Drafted opening and reply briefs in an appeal before the Colorado Court of Appeals.
- Law 360, "Atty's Internal Work For Insurer Spells DQ In Coverage Row," May 5, 2020.
Sullivan & Cromwell, Summer Associate