Bar and Court Admissions
Nora Ali helps clients implement litigation and trial strategies across a diverse range of commercial practice areas. She has developed valuable experience representing clients in challenging disputes, including class actions and employment matters for a leading shipping company. Most notably, Nora has established strong courtroom experience, having served as second-chair in a jury trial where she handled witness prep, conducted cross-examinations, and successfully excluded an expert.
Prior to joining WTO, Nora was a law clerk to The Honorable Linda V. Parker of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. Nora was also a litigation associate at an international law firm in its New York office where she gained experience drafting pleadings and subsequent briefs, preparing expert witnesses for depositions, and drafting memoranda.
- Won a defense verdict in a three-week trial for a Michigan hospital following an in-hospital cardiac arrest and alleged brain injury. The plaintiff sought more than $14 million in damages in plaintiff-friendly downtown Detroit. The jury found for WTO's client after deliberating for less than 20 minutes.
- Serve as national coordinating counsel to a major transportation company in FLSA collective action and individual and class wage and hour claims.
- Representing an aerial lift manufacturer in a product liability case in New York involving alleged design defects.
- Representing a leading tire manufacturer as national trial counsel in cases involving alleged manufacturing and design defects in tires.
- Successfully represented Aimco, one of the largest apartment owners in the U.S., in nationwide litigation alleging intentional torts against Airbnb. After jury selection in the first trial, Airbnb settled all litigation on terms allowing Aimco to control short-term rental activity consistent with its contract and property rights. The closely watched litigation is changing how the short-term rental industry operates.
- In re Gadolinium-Based Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2868 (J.P.M.L. 2018) - As lead national trial counsel to GE Healthcare, successfully argued before the U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation to defeat plaintiffs' attempt create an MDL involving gadolinium-based contrast agents.
- Arjune v. State of New York (U.S. 17-8587) - Drafted and filed an amicus brief to the U.S. Supreme Court, at the request of Sidley Austin and the Northwestern Supreme Court Clinic, in a matter involving immigration issues with dire consequences for the petitioner.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Co-authored, Colorado chapter of DRI's Compendium on Warnings, Instructions and Recalls (February 2019).
- "For Better or For Worse? The Forced Marriage of Sovereignty and Self-Determination," Cornell International Law Journal Vol. 47: ISS. 417 (2014)
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
Bureau of Consumer Protection, Federal Trade Commission
Summer Law Clerk
Cornell School of Hotel Administration
Teaching Assistant, Business and Hospitality Law
Otterbourg, Steindler, Houston & Rosen, P.C.
Conversant in Somali
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
Legal Aid Foundation
Associates’ Campaign Representative
New York State Bar Association
Cornell Black Lawyers Alumni Network
Community Memberships, Activities, and Honors
The Gathering Place, Board Member
Family Promise of Greater Denver
Family Promise (National)
Next Generation Committee
International travel, running, and mentoring