Bar and Court Admissions
Teresa Akkara helps clients navigate complex commercial issues at the trial and appellate levels. She brings valuable hands-on experience and strategic perspective to her cases, having assisted on matters before the U.S. Supreme Court as well as the Third, Fourth, and Seventh Circuit Courts of Appeal. Prior to joining WTO, Teresa worked as an associate in the litigation department of an AmLaw 10 firm in New York City. She also served an appellate clerk to Justice Carlos A. Samour, Jr. of the Colorado Supreme Court.
Teresa is a creative advocate and storyteller. She has leveraged those strengths to accomplish client objectives across a variety of sectors and litigation phases. Teresa also sits on the board of the Colorado Pledge to Diversity, an initiative that seeks to increase diversity in the legal profession.
Teresa graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, cum laude. While attending the University of Pennsylvania, Teresa also earned a certificate in management from the Wharton School of Business.
- Won a defense verdict in Douglas County District Court for an elderly pro bono client accused of conspiring to defund the estate of her incapacitated employer, shielding her from damages and protecting her very limited retirement savings.
- Argued a matter of first impression before the Third Circuit and successfully persuaded the court to extend the application of a seminal case.
- Drafted sections of a U.S. Supreme Court amicus brief advocating against partisan gerrymandering.
- Prepared sections of a U.S. Supreme Court amicus brief challenging the census citizenship question on behalf of 190 state and local government officials.
- Won successful resolution of complex commercial claims in arbitration before the International Chamber of Commerce.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for a major transportation company after filing briefing that prompted plaintiff to voluntarily dismiss three out of four claims with prejudice.
- Petitioned for and helped secure the release of transgender clients incarcerated in NY correctional facilities.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company before the Delaware Chancery Court and obtained resolution of pending claims.
- Investigated antitrust issues presented by proposed mergers and advised clients on appropriate merger strategy.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
"North American Overview: International Arbitration Laws and Regulations 2020," Co-Author, International Comparative Legal Guide, (Aug. 24, 2020).
"COVID-19: LIBOR 2021 Cessation Timing Unchanged Though Planning Delays Expected," Associate Contributor, Client Memorandum, (March 30, 2020).
"Global Regulators Press Market Participants to Prepare Now for LIBOR Transition," Associate Contributor, Client Memorandum, (Jan. 29, 2020).
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP,
Federal Appellate Litigation Extern
DLA Piper LLP,
Duane Morris LLP,
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Colorado Pledge to Diversity,
South Asian Bar Association,
Colorado Appellate Pro Bono Program,
Legal Aid Society 2021 Pro Bono Publico Award,
Writing fiction, scuba-diving, skiing