Bar and Court Admissions
Dan Guisbond helps clients navigate complex commercial disputes across a variety of business sectors. He has extensive experience in all phases of litigation—from inception through appeal—and has litigated in federal and state courts across the country. Dan also has experience before the Copyright Royalty Board.
Before joining WTO, Dan was an associate at a large, international law firm, where he handled complex commercial disputes primarily involving copyright and trademark-related issues in the technology, digital media, and entertainment fields.
- Successfully represented a global industrial gas company in defense of a competitor's application for preliminary and mandatory injunctive relief, ultimately facilitating resolution of a dispute valued in the hundreds of millions of dollars on highly favorable terms.
- Represented a major consumer goods company in a multibillion-dollar dispute against 48 U.S. states and territories regarding payments owed under an earlier settlement agreement.
- Represented the NFL Players Association and NFL players in workers' compensation disputes with the NFL Management Council and its member clubs.
- Represented an industry leading inter-dealer broker in a multimillion-dollar dispute alleging corporate raiding and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Represented a major fashion house in an employee defection and trade secret dispute with a major rival.
- Represented an international investment bank in a copyright infringement dispute. Matter is pending in the Southern District of New York.
- Represented a major digital service provider in "Phonorecords III" royalty rate-setting proceedings before the Copyright Royalty Board.
- Represented a digital service provider in a copyright infringement suit against more than 20 music publishing companies.
- Represented a new-media disrupter in a copyright infringement suit brought by 17 major television broadcast networks, assisting in securing significant victories in both the Southern District of New York and the Second Circuit.
- Represented an international consumer electronics company in a dispute regarding ownership of and rights to an iconic trademark in the consumer electronics industry.
- Conducted an unprecedented review of thousands of criminal cases, occurring between 1985 and 1999, contributing to the exoneration of numerous persons who were wrongly convicted on the basis of improper microscopic hair comparison analyses and related expert testimony provided by the FBI.
- Represented a holocaust survivor in his application for a one-time German Ghetto Work Program reparations payment.
- Represented a former U.S. Marine in his application to correct his military records in the wake of the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell.
Other Representative Experience
- In re Juul Labs Inc. Marketing, Sales Practices, and Products Liability Litigation (19-md-02193-WHO, N.D. Cal.) - Serving as lead national trial counsel to a major U.S. distributor of vaping products in federal multidistrict litigation in California. WTO is liaison counsel to all of the distributor defendants in the litigation.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
"Jailbroken: Future of Interoperability Exemptions Under the DMCA," New York Law Journal, Vol. 249—No. 112 (June 12, 2013).
Winston & Strawn LLP
Dewey Ballantine LLP
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Super Lawyers -- New York Rising Stars
Intellectual Property Litigation 2014-2018
American Bar Association
Colorado Bar Association
Denver Bar Association
Running, reading, skiing, traveling, and watching college basketball