WTO FOUNDATION - Overview
According to Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell Chairman Mike O'Donnell, "You can't be a first-rate institution without looking out for your community, too." That is why the firm established a nonprofit charitable foundation in 2005.
The Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell Foundation provides opportunities for current and former lawyers, staff, and their families and friends to build a caring community and to reach out to those in need outside of the firm with volunteer time and donations.
Since it was founded, WTOF has donated over $1,000,000 and countless volunteer hours to more than 100 nonprofit organizations. Eighty percent of firm personnel have volunteered time or donated money to WTOF causes.
In 2010, the Denver Business Journal recognized WTO with a Partners in Philanthropy award for the good work it does in the community. Link here for the full story.
WTOF encourages and supports existing individual and group community service efforts and provides additional opportunities for individuals and groups within the firm to work together on community service projects. WTOF also conducts annual fundraisers and accepts donations on an ongoing basis that are then used to fund community service projects and to match employees' donations to their chosen charitable projects.
WTOF is incorporated as a nonprofit 501(c)(3) charitable organization. It is governed by a Board of Directors.
A representative sample of community service projects in which WTOF has supported participation by firm personnel and their families and friends in the past few years includes the following:
- Legal Aid Foundation of Colorado. Each year, WTO associates participate with other law firm associates in the Campaign for Justice to raise money to benefit Colorado Legal Services.
- The Gathering Place. On a bi-monthly basis, WTOF volunteers cook and serve a hot breakfast at The Gathering Place, Denver's only daytime shelter serving women and children who are experiencing homelessness and poverty.
- Denver Kids, Inc. WTOF volunteers support Denver Public School students who face face the personal challenges of higher risk environments to sucessfully complete high school.
- Roll Out the Barrels Food Drive. WTOF participates in the Denver Bar Association's annual city-wide law firm competition to collect donations of nonperishable food and money to replenish food banks serving the Denver area.
- Denver Dumb Friends League. WTOF volunteers walk as a team with their pets in the annual Furry Scurry and collect pledges for DDFL and the animals they serve.
- Internet Safety Foundation. WTOF donated the seed money and WTO volunteers helped launch this nonprofit organization in 2006.
- WTOF participates in the annual Komen Race for the Cure that supports nonprofit organizations engaged in disease treatment, prevention, and research.
- WTOF organizes collection drives throughout the year for items such as toiletries, school supplies, and cell phones to donate to charity.
Click here to see the "WTO Foundation Five Year Review," a look back at the foundation's five-year history, highlights of Foundation-sponsored activities, and a list of nonprofit organizations the Foundation and WTO employees, family, and friends have supported with money and volunteer time.
The WTO Foundation annually files a tax return with the United States Internal Revenue Service.
For more information, please contact Connie Proulx, Executive Director, Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell Foundation.