Bar and Court Admissions
Brendan Loy’s legal practice focuses on representing sophisticated clients in professional liability matters. In addition, Brendan has been recognized for his appellate practice. He also has substantial experience in employment defense and insurance matters. Brendan earned his J.D. from the University of Notre Dame Law School and his B.A. from the University of Southern California, where he was a Trustee Scholar at the Annenberg School of Journalism.
- Obtained reversal on appeal of a civil protection order against a local citizen who had been accused of "threatening" a local public official based on a brief verbal encounter in which he criticized her job performance and indicated he would advocate for her removal from her position.
- Obtained a ruling from the Colorado Court of Appeals overturning the trial court on a complex supersedeas bonding issue that arose out of a successor liability and civil conspiracy case, resulting in an award of approximately $2.5 million in favor of several governmental entities.
- Obtained a ruling from the Colorado Court of Appeals upholding the trial court's determination that the Colorado Governmental Immunity Act applies to employees of Regional Transportation District contractors who are co-employees of RTD, thus limiting any recovery against the drivers (and hence the contractors) to the $150,000 cap set forth in the Immunity Act.
- Obtained summary judgment for a national organization against a former employee who alleged discrimination and wrongful discharge in violation of public policy.
- Obtaining dismissal of personal injury cases against a national fitness club based upon the release language contained in the club's membership agreements.
- Obtained summary judgment for a property owner in a contractual dispute with a commercial laundry service provider over whether the latter had properly exercised a right of first refusal pursuant to the parties' unusual lease agreement.
- Obtained dismissal of a lawsuit against an attorney for malicious prosecution, with fees awarded against the plaintiff and plaintiffs' counsel.
- Obtained dismissal of a personal injury lawsuit based on a novel theory of weather related liability, with fees awarded against the plaintiff and plaintiff's counsel.
- Obtained an administrative determination rejecting a former job applicant's discrimination claim against an agricultural machinery company.
Jachimiak Peterson, appellate contract attorney
Wells, Anderson & Race, associate
Wood, Ris & Hames, associate and appellate specialist
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Colorado Super Lawyers
Colorado Rising Stars
Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
International Association of Defense Counsel
Trial Academy, 2017
Colorado Bar Association
Denver Bar Association
Notre Dame Club of Denver
USC Alumni Club of Colorado