Bar and Court Admissions
Colleen Koch represents clients in complex commercial and professional liability matters nationwide. She has served on jury and bench trial teams, and has also gained valuable experience handling jury instructions, taking and defending depositions, and arguing motions in state and federal courts.
Prior to joining WTO, Colleen was a litigation associate at a full-service firm in Boulder. Before attending law school, Colleen dedicated six years to a career in secondary education, teaching middle and high school English and language arts.
- Won a pro bono victory lifting the unconstitutional banishment of a former Woodland Park School District employee from school board meetings and other property. The case restored our client's First Amendment rights and earned national media coverage.
- Representing a New Mexico hospital in a high-stakes malpractice case.
- Representing a Colorado oil and gas company in a high-value commercial dispute regarding well rights.
- Won summary judgment concerning limitation of remedies in a commercial contract dispute in Colorado federal court.
- Successfully argued and won an opposition to a motion to stay in a federal civil rights case.
- Won summary judgment on issues regarding federal preemption of personal injury claims by federal railroad statutes.
- Won an appeal regarding the construction of the Colorado Governmental Immunity Act.
- Served on a winning trial team for an eight-day trial regarding issues of adverse possession and prescriptive easements.
- Served on a winning trial team for a three-day trial regarding issues of adverse possession and boundary by acquiescence.
- Won summary judgment in a Title IX case in Iowa federal court.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Co-Author, "Giving Davis its Due: Why the Tenth Circuit Has the Winning Approach in Title IX's Deliberate Indifference Controversy," 98 Denv. L. Rev. 307, (Winter 2021).
"Attorneys, Clients, and Necessary Third Parties: The Attorney-Client Privilege after Fox v. Alfini," Boulder County Bar Association Newsletter, (November 2019).
"To Catch a Catfish: A Statutory Solution for Victims of Online Impersonation," 88 U. Colo. L. Rev. 233, (Winter 2017).
Hutchinson Black and Cook, LLC
Community Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Fairview High School Mock Trial Team
Attorney Coach, November 2021–Present
Boulder County Bar Association Civil Litigation Section
Co-Chair, September 2019–April 2022
Cycling, reading, spending time with family