Bar and Court Admissions
Margot Heflick represents healthcare industry clients in high-risk healthcare professional liability litigation and trials. She has extensive experience winning for clients early in litigation, having won walk-away dismissals and favorable settlements in dozens of challenging matters. Margot also has focused experience representing medical professionals facing board complaints and inquiries, as well as healthcare providers and facilities serving incarcerated individuals.
Margot is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2022 and was a “Rising Star” in Southwest Super Lawyers from 2015-2017. Prior to joining WTO, Margot was a litigation partner at a business and litigation firm in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Successfully defended a physician against a contemplated action by the New Mexico Medical Board following a patient death resulting from an undiagnosed bowel obstruction.
- Obtained dismissal with no money paid for a physician accused of negligence that contributed to a woman's death following severe sepsis and multi-organ failure.
- Won dismissal with prejudice for two employees of a New Mexico detention center who were accused of civil rights violations that led to an inmate's suicide.
- Successfully defended an emergency room physician accused of negligence following a pediatric patient death resulting from epileptic seizures and brain damage.
- Represented an emergency room physician accused of negligence following a pediatric patient death resulting from a rare lung complication.
- Represented an obstetrician facing allegations of mismanaged care. The plaintiffs claimed that the care following an emergency C-section resulted in the mother sustaining a hypoxic brain injury.
- Represented two emergency room physicians against negligence claims following pediatric patient deaths as a result of pneumonia/Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome.
- Defended a radiologist against negligence claims related to a misplaced catheter that allegedly caused the plaintiff to suffer extensive damages and to require prolonged hospitalization.
- Successfully settled two wrongful death medical malpractice cases for a company providing healthcare services in a prison.
- Favorably settled or handled multiple medical malpractice cases involving allegations of missed cancer diagnoses.
- Favorably settled a wrongful death case filed against a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center following the death of a patient who left the premises.
- Successfully defended physicians against contemplated actions by the New Mexico Medical Board.
Rodey, Dickason, Sloan, Akin & Rodd P.A.
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
The Best Lawyers in America – Product Liability Litigation, Defendants, 2022
Southwest Super Lawyers, “Rising Star,” 2015-2017
American Bar Association
New Mexico Women’s Bar Association
Albuquerque Bar Association