Bar and Court Admissions
Meghan Frei Berglind is an experienced advocate who helps clients in complex appeals and critical motions practice. She has represented sophisticated companies and government agencies in high-stakes trials and appeals, including as lead counsel for the Social Security Administration against one of the largest disability fraud schemes in U.S. history.
Meghan brings significant experience briefing and arguing important cases in federal and state courts nationwide. She also has substantial experience taking claims from pre-litigation through trials and appeals across a variety of practice areas and industries. Her practice involves class actions, commercial contracts, product liability, real estate, civil rights, and employment law. This range of experience, along with her trial background, informs Meghan’s appellate strategies and empowers her to work closely with trial teams to position cases for successful appeals.
Meghan’s appellate experience extends to the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the Sixth, Ninth, and Tenth Circuits.
- Suranyi v. Watermark Harvard Square - Drafted and filed an amicus brief with the Colorado Supreme Court for the International Association of Defense Counsel that addressed a Colorado trial court's obligation to consider the proportionality of discovery requests under the Colorado Rules of Civil Procedure, 2015 amendments.
- In re MDL 2700 Genetech Herceptin (Trastuzumab) Marketing and Sales Practices Litig. (10th Cir. 2019) - Authored amicus brief for the Product Liability Advisory Council urging affirmance of holding that state law consumer fraud claims against drug manufacturer were preempted under the Supreme Court's impossibility preemption principles.
- Served as lead counsel in 11 appeals in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Presented oral arguments in five of these.
- Led the legal team defending the Social Security Administration against litigation arising from one of the largest disability fraud schemes in U.S. history, including claims brought under the due process clause of the U.S. Constitution and the Administrative Procedures Act, with litigation reaching the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Defended against employee actions, including arbitrations and actions before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Merit Systems Protection Board.
- Participated in three jury trials, conducting witness direct and cross examination, and arguing directed verdict motions.
Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, Associate
Kirkland & Ellis, Associate
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Cornell Law School
Mary Kennedy Brown Society Leadership Committee
Colorado Bar Association
Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
Social Security Administration
2018 General Counsel’s Excellence-in-Service Award
American Bar Association
Colorado Women's Bar Association
Denver Bar Association
Community Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Paddington Station Preschool, Board of Trustees