Bar and Court Admissions
Sara Van Deusen is responsible for WTO's conflicts clearance review and analysis. Prior to joining WTO, she represented the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel in front of the Attorney Regulation Committee, Presiding Disciplinary Judge, Hearing Boards, and the Colorado Supreme Court. Sara represented the office in matters involving character and fitness, admissions, disciplinary proceedings, and client protection fund claims.
Before joining OARC, Sara was a shareholder in a law firm and focused her practice on the defense of lawyers in the disciplinary process and admissions to the practice of law.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
"Two Truths and a Lie" Presented at the University of Denver Mentoring program (March 12, 2020)
"Overview of Ethical Issues Related to Using Contract Attorneys" Presented at the Colorado Bar Association, Construction Law Section (December 12, 2019)
"Exploring Dishonesty, Fraud, Deceit and Misrepresentation: A Deep Dive into Model Rule 8.4(c)" Presented at the American Bar Association (September 23, 2019)
"So Your Lawyer Asked you to Lie – How the Change to Rule 8.4(c) Affects Paralegals" Presented at the Rocky Mountain Paralegal Association's Education Summit (September 20, 2019)
"COLTAF Accounts 2.0" Presented to the Colorado Bar Association (July 16,2019).
"Client Communication: What Should You Say and How Should You Say It When It Comes to Conflicts and Mistakes" Presented at the Colorado Bar Association's CLE Federal Practice Update (June 21, 2019)
- "COLTAF Accounts," presented at the Colorado Bar Association's CLE Successfully Launching and Running Your Own Practice: The Essential Guide (August 1, 2018).
- "Avoiding Conflicts of Interest," presented at the Colorado Bar Association's CLE The Colorado Lawyer Self-Assessment Program: Promoting a Thriving Law Practice (July 17, 2018).
- "ETHICS: Using Social Media and the Rules of Professional Conduct Together – Colo. RPC 1.6, 4.1, 4.3, 4.4, and 8.4(c)," presented at the Colorado Bar Association's CLE Federal Practice Update 2018 (June 22, 2018).
- "Avoiding Conflicts of Interest," presented at the Colorado Bar Association's CLE PMBP* – What It Is and Why You Should Care (July 19, 2017).
- "Competency, Confidentiality, and Candor: Ensuring Compliance with Colo. RPC 1.1, 1.6, 3.3 and 3.4 in the Age of Electronic Discovery," presented at the Colorado Bar Association's CLE Federal Practice Update 2017 (June 16, 2017).
- "Rule 1.1 and How Computer Skills Affect Attorney Competence," presented at the Colorado Bar Association's CLE Computer Competence for Lawyers (May 4, 2017).
- "What to Do When Your Client Cannot Pay by the Hour — Pluses and Pitfalls of Alternative Billing Arrangements," presented at the Colorado Bar Association's CLE Organizing a Colorado Business 2017 (March 16, 2017).
- "Ethics," presented at the Colorado Bar Association's CLE Advising Entrepreneurs (March 10, 2016).
- "Do's and Don'ts to Avoid Ethics Grievances Being Filed Against You," presented at the Colorado Bar Association's CLE Ethics 7.0 (November 20, 2015).
Burns Figa & Will, shareholder
Lambdin & Chaney, associate
McConnell Fleischner Houghtaling, associate
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
United States District Court for the District of Colorado
Committee on Conduct, Member
Colorado Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2013-2017
CBA Ethics Committee member, 2014-2019
CBA Lawyers’ Professional Liability Committee
ABA Center for Professional Responsibility’s Policy Implementation Committee
Denver Mother Attorneys Mentoring Association
Former Board Member
Former Programs Committee Co-Chair
DU College of Law, Adjunct Professor
Legal Profession course
Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel Trust Account School
Playing piano, hiking, and taking road trips