Chambers USA 2022: WTO "Among the Most Responsive and Client-Oriented of Any Outside Counsel"
Denver: Chambers USA has once again recognized Wheeler Trigg O’Donnell (WTO) among the top litigation firms nationwide and in Colorado. Highlights include:
Band 1: General Commercial Litigation, Colorado
- WTO lawyers compose 42% of the top-most rankings, with 5 lawyers ranked among the Top 12 in the state.
- Co-Managing Partner Carolyn Fairless is ranked in Band 1 for the first year.
- Partner Frederick Yarger is named to the Appellate Spotlight Table—for the second year in a row.
Band 2: Nationwide Product Liability: Consumer Class Actions
- WTO is listed among the Top 14 U.S. firms for class action defense.
- For the second straight year, Michael Williams is ranked among the Top 10 class action defense attorneys in the nation.
- Peter Herzog is ranked among the Top 19 class action defense attorneys.
Band 3: Nationwide Product Liability & Mass Torts – “The Elite”
- WTO is ranked among the top 27 “Elite” firms nationwide.
Band 3: Labor & Employment Litigation, Colorado
- Raymond Martin is ranked in Band 1 for the 13th straight year.
The directory describes WTO as “a dominant litigation boutique celebrated for its talent in civil trials, most notably with respect to commercial litigation, product liability and mass tort actions.” One Chambers source calls WTO “strategic, efficient and collaborative with their clients." Another states, "The Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell attorneys I have worked with are among the most responsive and client-oriented of any outside counsel I have dealt with."
In its editorial, Chambers points to WTO’s high-profile engagements, such as representing United Power in a $1.25 billion contract dispute against its electricity provider, and defeating plaintiffs’ third attempt to certify a class against Volvo in nationwide sunroof litigation.
Chambers once again ranked WTO in Band 2 for Consumer Class Action Defense—among the Top 14 firms in the U.S.
- The guide recognized WTO’s Michael Williams in Band 2—placing him among the top 10 lawyers in the nation for the second consecutive year. Williams is also ranked in Colorado for Commercial Litigation.
- Chambers ranked Peter Herzog in Band 3, placing him among the Top 19 consumer class action defense lawyers in the U.S.
Chambers ranks WTO in Band 3 for Nationwide Product Liability & Mass Torts—“The Elite.” The guide highlights three lawyers, as well:
In addition, Fitzpatrick earned special recognition for the eighth straight year on the Spotlight Table for Nationwide Product Liability: Toxic Torts. Only seven lawyers in the nation are listed.
Chambers once again ranked WTO in Band 1 in Colorado for General Commercial Litigation. Seven WTO lawyers are ranked in this area, with five among the top 12, as well as the two highest rated women in Bands 1 and 2, Carolyn Fairless and Katie Reilly, respectively. This is Fairless’s first year in Band 1.
- Carolyn Fairless (Band 1)
- John Fitzpatrick (Band 1)
- Hugh Gottschalk (Band 1)
- Michael O’Donnell (Eminent Practitioner)
- Katie Reilly (Band 2)
- Malcolm Wheeler (Senior Statespeople)
- Michael Williams (Band 4)
The guide singles out Michael O'Donnell as the sole Eminent Practitioner in the state, a fitting distinction for the current president of the American College of Trial Lawyers. One source says, "His strengths lie in his combination of unique skills as a trial lawyer, negotiator and leader of teams to handle complex litigation matters."
Additionally, Frederick Yarger earned recognition as one of only five lawyers on the Colorado Appellate Spotlight Table—for the second year in a row. The editorial cites his “excellent reputation for [an] impressive appellate practice.”
Once again, Raymond Martin is ranked in Band 1 for Colorado Labor & Employment. This is Martin’s 13th straight year in Band 1. One source calls him "a known expert to judges and opponents, and a joy to work with."
Chambers and Partners identifies and ranks the most outstanding law firms and lawyers in over 180 jurisdictions throughout the world. The guide accepts submissions from law firms and lawyers and also relies heavily on client and peer interviews to inform its rankings.
Wheeler Trigg O’Donnell lawyers have taken more than 1,100 trials and arbitrations to verdict or award and hundreds of appeals to opinion all across the nation, with exceptional results for our clients.
Established in 1998, WTO today numbers approximately 100 trial lawyers and litigators. The firm represents sophisticated clients in high-stakes civil trials, appeals, and related litigation ranging from complex commercial to class actions to catastrophic torts.