Bar and Court Admissions
Mike Williams specializes in complex commercial disputes that often involve novel legal issues. Mike has won national recognition for his defense of companies in high-stakes class actions while also helping clients recover large damages awards and injunctive relief in some of their most important matters. Chambers USA ranks Mike among the Top 10 class action defense attorneys in the United States. He has also been named a BTI Consulting Client Service All-Star, based exclusively on feedback from in-house counsel.
Mike is known for delivering compelling trial arguments that clear a path to exceptional courtroom results. At the same time, he identifies meaningful common interests to help bring parties together amid stark differences. Clients call Mike "a great strategic thinker in litigation" who "understands the business impact and will outwork the other side" (Chambers USA). He possesses "the rare ability to communicate with business leaders in a meaningful way" (The Legal 500).
Mike consistently finds a way to resolve his clients' significant legal and business concerns through effective litigation and pre-suit counseling. His experience includes the defense of class actions and the pursuit of damages arising from breach of contract, intentional torts, and denials of insurance coverage.
National outlets have recognized Mike for his defense of consumer class actions. As co-counsel, he tried a certified class action trial for Whirlpool to a defense jury verdict in Ohio federal court. Mike has successfully defended more than 100 class actions at the pretrial stages for a range of companies. Such cases have involved allegations of product defect, false advertising, unfair consumer practices, and environmental torts.
Mike’s experience also includes national coordination of pattern and mass tort litigation and related regulatory investigations. He has represented international manufacturers, retailers, investment companies, small businesses, and individuals in more than 25 states across the country.
- Advising a real estate client on how to safeguard its constitutional rights amid governmental overreach related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Successfully represented Aimco, one of the largest apartment owners in the U.S., in nationwide litigation alleging intentional torts against Airbnb. After jury selection in the first trial, Airbnb settled all litigation on terms allowing Aimco to control short-term rental activity consistent with its contract and property rights. The closely watched litigation is changing how the short-term rental industry operates.
- Won a multimillion-dollar arbitration award for an energy company, recovering more than 15 times the last settlement offer made before trial.
- Represented a Fortune 20 company in an international arbitration hearing that resulted in a settlement, after the hearing concluded, for more than 90% of our client's claim.
- Yatooma v. OP Property Management et al. (C.D. Cal. 2017) - Won a motion to dismiss with prejudice a putative class action in federal court in California. The plaintiff alleged violations of the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and California's Rosenthal Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.
- In re Sears, Roebuck & Co. Front-Loading Washer Products Liability Litigation (7th. Cir. 2017) - Won unanimous Seventh Circuit victory in a fee dispute for Whirlpool and Sears arising out of a certified federal class action lawsuit that WTO favorably settled after winning a defense verdict in the bellwether trial of related claims.
- Successfully represented a Fortune 20 company in class action and insurance litigation arising from a six-alarm warehouse fire in 2015, resulting in WTO's client paying just 1% of claims—and subsequently recovering that amount through affirmative claims against other parties and their insurers.
- Glazer v. Whirlpool (N.D. Ohio 2014) - Won a complete defense jury verdict for Whirlpool as co-trial counsel in a $66 million certified class action trial in Ohio involving allegedly "moldy" washing machines.
- Successfully represented a privately held oil company in mass torts litigation arising from a deadly 2013 train derailment in Lac-Mégantic, Quebec. Following resolution, helped client pursue claims to recover most of its contributions to the global settlement fund.
- Brown v. Whirlpool (N.D. Ohio 2014) - Obtained dismissal of class action allegations and 15 of 17 claims against Whirlpool in an environmental toxic tort case. Plaintiffs voluntarily dismissed their remaining claims after the court's ruling.
- Successfully negotiated a class settlement for Pilot Flying J as national resolution counsel in diesel rebate litigation.
- Represent Electrolux, a global leader in household and commercial appliances, in certain consumer class actions nationwide and in product liability matters filed in Colorado.
- Tietsworth v. Sears (N.D. Cal. 2013) - Defeated a motion to certify a nationwide breach of warranty class in a case alleging that certain Kenmore washing machines contained defective electronic control boards that caused the machines to malfunction.
- Successfully represent various manufacturers, retailers, and private labelers of diverse consumer products in regulatory inquiries and negotiations regarding the scope of voluntary recalls.
- Rush v. Whirlpool (W.D. Ark. 2008) - Defeated certification of a multistate class action in Arkansas federal court involving claims that certain Whirlpool-made refrigerators were defective.
- White v. Ford, 500 F.3d 963 (9th Cir. 2007) - Won a reversal and a new trial on the punitive damages phase of a product liability case originally tried by another firm in 1998. Persuaded the second jury to award only one-third of the amount awarded in the initial trial.
- Successfully defended a Colorado software company in a securities class action in which the client asked WTO to replace an international law firm as lead trial counsel 90 days before trial.
- Conroy v. Dennis (Colo. 2006) - Successfully tried to verdict a case in which our clients proved that Colorado's electronic voting systems had not been tested and certified in accordance with the law. The case led to major changes in Colorado election law.
- Successfully defended a large Colorado automobile dealer in a consumer class action in which the plaintiffs alleged violations of the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act and sought hundreds of millions of dollars in damages. The trial court denied class certification, and the Colorado Court of Appeals affirmed that order on appeal, and the Colorado and U.S. Supreme Courts denied certiorari.
- Moore v. Bertuzzi - Successfully defended the Vancouver Canucks NHL organization in a lawsuit brought by Colorado Avalanche player Steven Moore as a result of severe injuries he sustained during a hockey game. WTO obtained dismissal of the lawsuit on the grounds of lack of personal jurisdiction and forum non conveniens, and also obtained a six-figure award of attorney's fees and costs in favor of the Canucks organization and against Mr. Moore.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- "Evaluating Section 230 Liability in the Sharing Economy," Co-author, Law360, September 3, 2019.
Moderator and Panelist, "Class Actions – Case Filing and Structure," presented at Emory Law School Institute for Complex Litigation and Mass Claims (September 13, 2017).
Panelist, "Crisis Response - Deftly Handling Your Company's Emergency," presented at The Network of Trial Lawyers Litigation Management: New Trends and Techniques (April 28, 2017).
Panelist, "Fairness Determinations: Pitfalls and Challenges in Class Settlements," FJC / JPML Conference, Emory Law School Institute for Complex Litigation and Mass Claims (December 15, 2016).
Moderator, "Getting Selected for Leadership – What Decisionmakers Look For and How to Overcome Common Barriers," Next Generation Conference, Emory Law School Institute for Complex Litigation and Mass Claims (December 14, 2016).
"E-Discovery Lessons from the Battlefield," presented at the Network of Trial Law Firms' Litigation Management SuperCourse: Tribulations and Trials conference, Scottsdale, Arizona (April 25, 2014).
- "Why We Won the ACC Value Challenge, and What You Can Learn from It," presented at The Network of Trial Law Firms' Litigation Management SuperCourse: "From Trouble to Trial to Triumph," San Diego, California (November 10, 2012).
- "Emerging Issues in Consumer Products Class Actions," presented at CLE International's Class Actions: Plaintiff & Defense Perspectives Conference, Los Angeles, California (May 17, 2012).
"A Focus on Class Actions and MDL: Coordination and Other Winning Strategies for Resolution in Multiple Jurisdictions," presented at American Conference Institute's Mass Tort Products Liability Claims Conference, New York, New York (2010).
"Early Case Evaluation in Managing Litigation," PLI Current Law: Strategies and Best Practices, at Chapter 16-1 (2009).
"Early Case Evaluation in Managing Litigation," Product Liability Litigation: Current Law, Strategies, and Best Practices, Chapter 16, co-authored with Philip L. Harris and Linda L. Listrom, Practising Law Institute (2009).
- BTI Consulting: WTO 1 of 16 "Standouts" for Alternative Fees
- Chambers USA 2020: WTO Leads Nationwide, Colorado
- Law360, "Miami Apt. Owners Can Seek Punitive Damages In Airbnb Suit," October 25, 2018.
- 27 WTO Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America 2019
- WTO Leads Top 100 in Colorado Super Lawyers
- WTO Leads Barrister's Best People's Choice Awards
- 26 WTO Lawyers ranked in the 24th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
- Law360, "7th Circ. Halves Attys' Fees In Sears Washer Class Action," August 14, 2017.
- Reuters, "Sears, Whirlpool win fee reduction in washer lawsuit," August 14, 2017.
- Chambers USA 2017 recognizes Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell among the top litigation firms nationwide and in Colorado
- 42 WTO Lawyers Named to the 2017 Colorado Super Lawyers List
- 20 WTO Lawyers ranked in the 23rd Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®
- Chambers USA 2016 Ranks WTO Among Top Firms Nationwide and in Colorado
- Denver Business Journal, "Long, Winding Road for Class Actions," April 15, 2016.
- Denver Business Journal, "Scalia's Death Puts Class Action Legal Standards in Question," April 15, 2016.
- Law360, "Sears, Whirlpool Win OK for Washer Defect Settlement," February 18, 2016.
- Law360, "GE Defective Microwave Coverage Battle will Stay in New Jersey." December 16, 2015.
- Law360, "GE Says Insurer Can't Duck Defective Microwave Defense," December 1, 2015.
- Law360, "Sears, Whirlpool Settle Dishwasher Row With Repairs, Rebates," September 14, 2015.
- 20 WTO Lawyers ranked in the 22nd Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®
- WTO Leads the Nation for Ranked Lawyers in Product Liability & Mass Torts Defense in Chambers USA 2015
- Legal 500 US Ranks Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell in Three Areas Nationwide
- Law360, "Whirlpool Plaintiffs Ask 6th Circ. For New Washer Trial," February 13, 2015.
- WTO Partner Michael Williams Named 1 of 5 2015 BTI Client Service All-Stars Nationwide for Product Liability
- Law Week Colorado, "Plaintiffs' Case a Wash in Verdict," November 17, 2014.
- Bloomberg BNA, "Ohio Moldy Washer Verdict Goes to Whirlpool; Class Will Pursue Claims in Other States," November 14, 2014.
- Best Lawyers® 2015 Ranks 20 WTO Attorneys
- Benchmark Litigation 2013 Ranks Seven WTO Partners Among 33 Colorado Litigation Stars
- Law Week Colorado, "Fixed Fee Makes Champions of Partnership," July 16, 2012.
- The Association of Corporate Counsel Recognizes Whirlpool and WTO as "ACC Value Champions"
- Denver Business Journal, Professional Recognition, June 25, 2012.
- Legal 500 US Ranks WTO as One of Two Top Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense Firms in the Automotive Industry
- WTO Defeats Class Certification in Multistate Product Liability Class Action
- Legal 500 U.S. 2008 Calls WTO "Best Firm for Class Actions"
- Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell Names Three New Partners
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
General Commercial Litigation, Colorado, 2016-2019
Consumer Class Actions, National, 2019
Client Service All-Star, 2015
The Best Lawyers in America
Denver Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions Lawyer of the Year, 2016
Denver Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants Lawyer of the Year, 2021
Commercial Litigation, 2013-2021
Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants, 2011-2021
Product Liability Litigation, 2014-2021
Personal Injury Litigation, 2019-2021
The Legal 500 US
Litigation: Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense, 2007-2013, 2015
Commercial Litigation - Colorado, 2014-2016, 2018
Future Star - Colorado, 2013
Colorado Super Lawyers
Class Actions/Mass Torts, 2014-2020
Top 100, 2020; 2016-2017
Law Week Colorado
"People's Choice" Class Action/Mass Tort Defense Lawyer, 2016-2018
Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Member, Product Liability Advisory Council
Member, International Association of Defense Counsel
Member, Next Gen Advisory Board, Institute for Complex Litigation &
Mass Claims, Emory Law School
Member, Defense Research Institute
The Network of Trial Law Firms
American Bar Association
Colorado Bar Association
Denver Bar Association
Family (three young daughters), fly fishing, skiing