Bar and Court Admissions
John Sandberg represents clients in complex professional liability and commercial disputes in jurisdictions throughout the country. A valuable courtroom advocate, John gained significant civil trial experience in just his first few years of practice, serving as second-chair for the defense in several high-exposure trials involving multi-million dollar damage claims. John has delivered opening statements, examined and cross-examined key witnesses, and argued critical motions and jury instructions. Well-versed in medical malpractice litigation, John regularly defends medical providers, hospitals, and healthcare institutions in civil proceedings, and he has also represented individuals before administrative licensing boards. In addition to his trial practice, John brings strong appellate experience, having briefed, argued, and won cases before the Colorado Court of Appeals, including a recent pro bono victory in which he successfully argued for the reversal and remand of a trial court’s ruling in a parental responsibility dispute.
Prior to joining WTO, John worked in the Denver office of a regional law firm, where he gained early courtroom experience, drafted significant motions and pleadings, led discovery, and took depositions. John also previously served as a judicial intern to the Honorable Gilbert M. Román at the Colorado Court of Appeals.
- Won a pro bono victory in the Colorado Court of Appeals for a mother fighting to maintain her relationship with her son after the child's father suddenly attempted to relocate with him out of state.
- Served as second-chair for the defense in a complex medical malpractice trial with more than $100 million in claimed damages. John cross-examined the plaintiff and performed direct and cross-examinations of all damages experts. Prior to trial, John argued motions for summary judgment on behalf of the firm's clients, as well as Daubert and other pre-trial evidentiary motions.
- Represented an energy services company as second chair in a multimillion dollar personal injury trial involving claims of disability and permanent impairment following a workplace injury. Cross-examined the plaintiff's medical experts, conducted direct examination of a corporate representative, and argued for the client during the jury instruction conference.
- Won motion to dismiss legal malpractice claims brought against a Colorado criminal defense attorney. Drafted the motion and supporting briefs and secured dismissal before incurring any discovery fees, just months after the case was filed.
- Represented a medical device retailer as second chair in a medical malpractice trial in Colorado involving allegations of malpractice during a cosmetic facial laser procedure. Delivered opening statements and cross-examined the plaintiff's primary medical expert.
- Successfully represented a private couple as lead counsel in a bench trial involving trespass and property damage claims resulting in thousands of dollars in destroyed personal property.
- Co-authored a winning appellate answer brief for a financial services company in a forcible entry and detainer proceeding.
Messner Reeves LLP
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Colorado Bar Association
Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
Defense Research Institute
William E. Doyle Inn of Court
Notre Dame Lawyers Committee
Catholic Lawyers Guild of Colorado
Running, American history and the presidents, the Chicago Cubs.