Bar and Court Admissions
Juan Ramirez has led North American and global litigation at a Fortune 150 company and served as senior litigation counsel for another Fortune 150 company. He uniquely understands the challenges his clients face, and he brings a wealth of experience in complex commercial litigation and appellate advocacy. Juan defends companies and consumer product manufacturers against existential litigation threats and government investigations at home and abroad. He helps clients protect their reputations, employees, and assets, including through affirmative claims against suppliers, distributors, and competitors.
Juan’s experience leading the litigation functions of large, international corporations means that he truly appreciates the pressures his clients face: from plaintiffs, courts, regulators, and public perception. Juan brings that awareness and know-how to meet his clients where they are—and lead them to higher ground—when they face major litigation.
As both inside and outside counsel, Juan has managed large litigation teams, including coalitions comprised of experts from different firms, to oversee and execute legal strategy to help his clients meet their business objectives. From consumer class actions to government investigations to mass torts, Juan has the knowledge and creativity to effectively engage stakeholders from the C-suite to discovery vendors to claims professionals.
- After prevailing on a motion to dismiss all of plaintiffs' nationwide class claims, settled all claims individually for a major appliance manufacturer in a class action involving the doors in all of its microwave ovens.
- Won favorable settlement for a technology company against a supplier that failed to fulfill or refund a $1.5 million order of personal protection equipment (PPE) amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Managed the global investigations, class action, and commercial litigation dockets for a Fortune 150 products manufacturer.
- Managed North American class action and asbestos litigation portfolios for a Fortune 150 products manufacturer.
- Won a first-of-its-kind defense verdict in Australia against that country's effort to ban an entire category of consumable products.
- Obtained favorable resolutions and dismissals with prejudice of municipality-based class actions in New York and Minnesota in which plaintiffs sought to certify national and state classes of municipal wastewater facilities.
- Successfully defended a manufacturing company against multiple government investigations of false advertising allegations related to the company's fastest growing product category.
- Negotiated pre-suit withdrawals of several threatened ingredient-based class actions alleging false advertising of products as "all" or "100% natural."
- Supervised and managed litigation throughout the Asia Pacific region while leading the integration of legal departments between the parent company and its Chinese subsidiary.
- Led complex litigation and trial teams in Europe, Israel, Canada, and Latin America.
- Achieved favorable resolution for a Fortune 150 company against one of the largest medical device class actions in the company's history.
- Negotiated 97% reduction of a government's proposed civil penalty—in excess of $100 million—against a major manufacturing client.
- Managed and negotiated the largest supplier recovery action in a Fortune 150 client's history, obtaining cash and future indemnity protection well into nine figures.
- Won a preliminary injunction for a product manufacturer in the District of Columbia against the District's attempt to ban an entire category of consumer products.
- Won a favorable verdict, including treble damages, for a large OEM client whose property was converted by a rival company. Secured judgment for fair market value of the converted property as well as the return of millions of dollars of equipment.
- Argued and won before the Wisconsin Supreme Court in a first-impression matter involving the retroactive application of Wisconsin's frivolousness statute. The Court reversed the appeals court's denial of attorney's fees. This upheld a summary judgment win for an oil company facing allegations of wrongful termination of a carrier contract.
- Won a defense verdict, including damages and attorneys' fees, after securing successive appellate court reversals of the trial court's denial of a client's right to enforce a restrictive covenant proscribing the operation of a competitor.
- Won reversal of a trial court's order against an 81-year-old pro bono client who was the victim of a predatory contractor. Won double damages and attorneys' fees under Wisconsin's Home Improvement Code.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
"The Dangers of Imposing Consumer Arbitration Agreements with Class Action Waivers: Mitigating the Emerging Threat of Mass Arbitrations," presented at The Trial Network Product Liability SuperCourse in Minneapolis, (December 2021).
"Reaching Across the Border: The Impact of International Class Actions," presented at DRI Class Actions Seminar, Washington D.C. (September 2013).
"Keeping the Jury Engaged: Demonstrative Exhibits That Educate and Entertain," Panelist, DRI Product Liability Conference, Las Vegas (September 2012).
Associate General Counsel, Kimberly-Clark Corp., 2015-2020
Senior Counsel, Whirlpool Corp., 2010-2015
Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Kimberly-Clark, General Counsel’s “X” Award for Excellent Results
Nominated for 2020 First Chair Award for Top In-House Talent
United States Chamber of Commerce Tort Reform Advisory Council,
Defense Research Institute
Wisconsin Association of African American Lawyers, Director, 2009-2010
Wisconsin Law Journal “2010 Up & Coming Lawyer”
American Bar Association
State Bar of Wisconsin
Community Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Society for Women Against AIDS - Liberia, Director 2009-2015
Whirlpool Foundation, Secretary, 2014
Adoption Resources of Wisconsin, Director 2009-2010
Parklawn YMCA, Director 2005-2007
Traveling, reading, tennis, movies, outdoors