Investigations & Compliance
WTO houses an accomplished white collar and investigations practice. Our team includes two former Assistant U.S. Attorneys and four former Judge Advocate Generals. WTO attorneys have successfully represented numerous sophisticated clients before a broad range of federal, state, and administrative agencies. Such clients include telecommunications companies, financial institutions, technology manufacturers and service providers, government contractors, healthcare providers and institutions, and medical device manufacturers.
WTO represents clients in the prevention or mitigation of enforcement actions and criminal investigations conducted by federal and state agencies. We are ever mindful of the intense public scrutiny such investigations may precipitate, and we take pains to maintain every discretion possible. WTO attorneys represent clients before professional licensure and review boards. Our clients include corporations, officers, directors, public officials, and service providers. We also provide legal representation to clients who are the targets of governmental investigations including in grand jury proceedings.
Our team helps prevent enforcement actions or criminal investigations by implementing compliance and remediation programs and internal safeguards. Where our internal investigations have revealed gaps in compliance procedures, we have successfully worked to amend administrative lapses and implement new policies, procedures, and safeguards to promote future compliance and avoid adverse actions. We also work with clients to self-disclose issues, when necessary or desirable, to minimize the potential impact of enforcement actions on businesses and employees.
We also provide legal representation to clients who are the targets of governmental investigations including in grand jury proceedings.
Representative investigations clients include:
- a nation-leading technology company;
- a global chemical company;
- financial institutions and investment firms;
- one of the largest telecommunications companies in the country;
- a brand-name manufacturer of personal computers and printers;
- a global management consulting and technology services company;
- an international provider of after-market automotive parts;
- an international industrial contractor;
- a leading medical device company;
- a national real estate investment firm;
- a mountain resort company;
- insurance companies; and
- hospitals, nursing homes, and other healthcare facilities.
- Successfully defended a Fortune 50 telecommunications conglomerate against allegations brought by a competitor that WTO's client breached FCC phone number portability regulations.
- Successfully represented a leading global chemical company in an investigation involving multiple federal agencies and international trade compliance issues.
- Successfully represented a Chinese national in an investigation involving multiple federal agencies and allegations of arms trading.
- Represent a stock transfer agent in securities fraud investigated by the United States.
- Represent a federal contractor in a procurement integrity investigation.
- Represent senior executives in a False Claims Act investigation involving allegations of fraud on defense agencies.
- Vestas Blades v. Randall (Colo. 2011) - Won a $4.2 million judgment for a renewable energy client in a civil trial involving an executive's embezzlement from the company.
- Obtained summary judgment for Lockheed Martin with regard to the majority of potentially $2 billion in exposure in a major federal False Claims Act case in Idaho. Allegations included false claims associated with a contract for management of the U.S. Department of Energy facility in Idaho Falls, ID. Following summary judgment, the remainder of the case settled favorably.
- Represent a senior partner of a physicians group in a federal investigation into alleged healthcare fraud and related qui tam proceedings.
- Represent the former CEO of a hospice care organization in a federal False Claims Act investigation and related qui tam litigation.
- Represent a technology company under investigation for alleged conflict of interest charges in a government contract.
- Represent a cloud-based healthcare recordkeeping service in Stored Communications Act and related compliance issues and grand jury proceedings.
- Represented an originator and servicer of mortgage loans in multiple investigations conducted by the United States into allegations of mortgage and appraisal fraud.
- Represented one of the nation's largest manufacturers of mobile home parts in allegations of corruption and regulatory noncompliance.
- Represented an airline pilot in an investigation by the United States of crew intoxication.
- Represented a prominent Colorado lawyer in an investigation by the State of Colorado involving allegations of securities fraud.
- Represented a senior public official in corruption-related proceedings being investigated by the United States.
- Represented a private school following a sexual assault investigation.