Bar and Court Admissions
Clients hire Judith Youngman to help win disputes before litigation is ever filed. Judith helps her clients fix contracts and business relationships that fail to produce the desired results. Her work routinely involves nine- and ten-figure outcomes. Judith’s experience also includes high-stakes antitrust, bankruptcy, financial, and class action litigation.
Judith focuses on building prelitigation and litigation strategies that put clients in the best possible posture. Her experience includes working closely with clients’ employees at all levels when contract performance issues first arise and developing strategies that achieve clients’ goals with or without litigation. Time and again, Fortune 100 and 500 corporations select Judith to assist them to prepare and resolve contentious legal issues with massive business interests at stake.
Judith clerked for the Sixth Court of Appeals of Texas after earning her law degree from The University of Texas Law School.
- Defended a global manufacturer in consumer class actions in federal and state court involving nearly $1 billion in damages claims. Helped negotiate and implement a class settlement that resulted in no payment by client.
- Developed claims and strategy to help a service provider that was losing $500,000 per day and potentially $1 billion over the life of a contract to achieve a negotiated resolution with a small fraction of the ongoing losses.
- Developed a viable exit strategy for a global industrial corporation that was on track to lose nearly $1 billion on a long-term energy contract, which required a comparable sum to exit. Achieved negotiated exit that avoided the substantial upfront payment and future losses.
- Successfully represented Aimco, one of the largest apartment owners in the U.S., in nationwide litigation alleging intentional torts against Airbnb. After jury selection in the first trial, Airbnb settled all litigation on terms allowing Aimco to control short-term rental activity consistent with its contract and property rights.
- Obtained a payment of several hundred million dollars for a client by implementing a strategy and process to challenge a customer that sought to insource services without paying compensation.
- Assisted a client in renegotiating a U.S. government contract with exposure to the client of more than $2 billion because the customer was purchasing less than the minimums and blaming the client. Developed claims that restored the client's leverage to renegotiate the contract.
- Represented the chairman of a Fortune 500 company in shareholder class action litigation involving significant issues regarding dual-class stock. Favorably resolved cases pending in Texas and Delaware, and the client obtained a significant premium over common shareholders.
- Represented a Fortune 100 client in conducting a comprehensive review of 20 red accounts in the U.S. and abroad, with a total risk of several hundred million dollars in losses. Helped develop the process for review and recommendations for each account, while acting as coordinating counsel for a team of three law firms. The result was overall turnaround of accounts and achievements of business targets.
- Helped save a client hundreds of millions of dollars by developing and implementing a strategy to allow for reduction of minimums in a telecommunications contract through a process that included a determination by the Board of Directors and fast-track arbitration.
- Represented trustees in multiple residential mortgage-backed securities actions that concerned billions of dollars in mortgage loans by several major banks and resulted in favorable settlements for the clients.
- Represented a Fortune 500 manufacturer against substantial antitrust and false advertising claims brought by a competitor, achieving a favorable result for the client through trial and appeal.
- Developed and implemented a strategy that successfully led to the exit of an unfavorable, nationwide IT contract and achieved a win-win by renegotiating the contract to include new, more profitable services.
- Defended against breach of contract allegations made by a customer against a client with $100 million of margin at stake. Developed defenses and counterclaims and successfully resisted the customer's efforts resulting in a negotiated termination that preserved the client's margin.
- Represented entities and individuals in federal, state, and international jurisdictions in litigation arising out of the Bernard Madoff Ponzi scheme and the related bankruptcy.
- Served on the legal team of lead litigation counsel for the Creditors Committee in Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors v. Fastow, et al., and in multidistrict litigation arising out of the Enron Corp. bankruptcy. Successfully resolved several claims and lawsuits.
McKool Smith, P.C.
Clark, Thomas & Winters, P.C.
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
American Bar Association
Colorado Bar Association
Colorado Women's Bar Association
Denver Bar Association
Texas Bar Association
Spending time with family and leading a girl scout troop.