Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell attorneys have many years of experience in the ever-evolving telecommunications industry. We have avoided class certifications and negotiated settlements in nationwide class actions, including one which involved over three million plaintiffs. WTO represents or has represented AT&T, CenturyLink, Dish Network, and NBC Universal, among others, in complex commercial matters.
We handle the litigation and arbitration of telecommunications industry disputes across a variety of legal matters, including:
- Class actions
- Distribution issues
- Employment and labor
- Product liability
- Professional liability
- Trademarks and trade secrets
- Representing a major telecommunications company in an MDL involving 18 underlying consumer, securities, and derivative class actions that challenge the company's marketing and sales practices.
- Obtained preliminary injunction for a television provider against a large Middle Eastern media company that violated an exclusive distribution agreement.
- Representing a nation-leading cable operator in a high-stakes and high-profile antitrust dispute brought by a regional content provider.
- Successfully defended a telecommunications company in a state and federal putative class action in Washington arising out of an alleged data breach.
- Won a defense jury verdict in federal court for a Fortune 500 telecommunications client facing age discrimination and retaliation claims.
- Successfully defended a Fortune 50 telecommunications conglomerate against allegations brought by a competitor that WTO's client breached FCC phone number portability regulations.
- Rehberger et al. v. Yahoo! (S.D. Ill. 2016) - Successfully resolved a putative class action against Yahoo! involving alleged violations of the Illinois Eavesdropping Statute.
- Obtained dismissal of two putative class action lawsuits for Yahoo! in Ohio state court alleging that daily fantasy sports contests on the website amounted to illegal gambling.
- Menge v. AT&T (10th Cir. 2014) - Won Tenth Circuit affirmance of a lower court ruling for AT&T in an ERISA dispute.
- Represented a leading telecommunications company as a third-party respondent in discovery relating to a lawsuit involving claims that an executive violated the terms of a noncompete agreement and misappropriated proprietary information from his prior employer. The case eventually settled, absolving WTO's client of its role in the litigation.
- Stoney v. Cingular Wireless (10th Cir. 2012) - Defended the appeal to the Tenth Circuit of a 2010 jury verdict WTO won for AT&T in a high-profile whistleblower case. Law Week Colorado called the underlying trial court victory one of the "Top Defense Verdicts of 2010."
- Kelly-Williams v. AT&T (La. 9th Jud. Dist. Ct.) - Won a jury defense verdict in Louisiana in a premises liability case in which a sign in an AT&T store fell and injured a child.
- Vastano et al. v. AT&T Wireless - Defended AT&T Wireless in a nationwide class action in Colorado state court involving the billing of wireless air time.
- Obtained reversal in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals of a trial court's refusal to send a contract dispute to arbitration. WTO successfully resolved the case for a telecommunications company client after the Ninth Circuit ruling.
- Represented a Fortune 100 telecommunications company in a favorable appeal in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit involving the application of Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations.
- Represented AT&T as lead counsel in a complex telecommunications dispute in federal court in Colorado.