Bar and Court Admissions
Matthew Jasilli represents sophisticated clients in complex commercial litigation and arbitration across a range of industries. He has experience at both the trial and appellate levels with matters involving class action, antitrust, intellectual property, and contract claims, among other complex issues.
Prior to joining WTO, Matt worked in prominent law firms in Washington, D.C., and New York. He also clerked in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and interned in the Southern District of New York.
- Argued remotely and won dismissal on summary judgment for an agricultural equipment manufacturer in a product liability case claiming that an allegedly defective combine header amputated the plaintiff's fingers during a routine inspection.
- Represented a foreign bank and its directors in protracted litigation in Florida state court. Matt developed key legal theories and defense strategies and handled nearly all trial court and appellate briefing. He achieved dismissal with prejudice of tort and RICO claims against all defendants. He also obtained dismissal of two appeals prior to oral argument and argued successfully for reversal of the trial court's ruling on general and specific personal jurisdiction.
- Represented an international project development company in disputes regarding two construction projects in Africa. Matt handled briefing on engineering issues and liquidated damages, fact and expert witness prep, and presented his client's engineering expert at a hearing. His client prevailed on the liquidated damages claim.
- Taylor, et al. v. Michelin North America, Inc., et al. (N.D. Okla. 2017) - Representing Michelin and Goodrich Corp. against claims brought by more than 100 plaintiffs alleging groundwater contamination by benzene and other chemicals from a long-closed tire manufacturing plant in Oklahoma. Claims include nuisance, trespass, unjust enrichment, and RCRA violations.
- Represent Skyjack Inc. as national trial counsel in product liability cases involving aerial lift and boom equipment.
- Represent MacDon, Inc. as national trial counsel in product liability cases involving combine headers.
- Represented an oil and gas industry pioneer and his companies that were sued for hundreds of millions of dollars based on allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract. Matt deposed key witnesses, eliciting critical testimony regarding alleged trade secrets. He also drafted a winning motion for attorneys' fees. The parties settled with no payment from his clients, no admission of liability, and the plaintiff paid millions in defense costs.
- Managed large-scale discovery teams of up to 100 attorneys and staff.
- Represented a fortune 500 company in bankruptcy proceedings in the Southern District of New York and won a motion opposing appointment of an official committee of equity security holders.
- Served on a pro bono trial team for a police excessive force claim in the Southern District of New York. Matt drafted a successful motion to exclude a computer simulation that may have been misleading, as well as a motion for punitive damages.
- Successfully represented a victim of domestic violence in a pro bono effort to obtain a civil protection order.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
"A Rat Res? Questioning the Value of Res Judicata in Rule 23(b)(3) Superiority Inquiries for Foreign Cubed Class Action Securities Litigations," 48 COLUM. J. TRANSNAT'L L. 114, (2009).
Williams & Connolly, Associate
Sullivan & Cromwell, Associate
Kaye Scholer, Litigation Support Analyst
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
The Best Lawyers in America
Ones to Watch - Commercial Litigation, 2022, 2023
Ones to Watch - Mass Tort Litigation/ Class Actions - Defendants, 2022, 2023
Cooking, designing and repairing stereo equipment, and billiards