Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell lawyers have tried patent infringement, copyright, trademark, trade secret, and unfair competition matters in state and federal trial and appellate courts nationwide. They have also provided general copyright and trademark counseling to help companies avoid litigation.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order for a national bank in a case involving a departing employee who stole trade secrets and breached fiduciary duty.
- Successfully represented a leading regional healthcare network as lead trial counsel in a high-stakes trademark dispute against a national healthcare insurance provider.
- Won a directed verdict in a trade secrets trial for an oil and gas company. The plaintiff claimed theft of its technical geological data that allegedly had allowed the defendant to improperly acquire several hundred thousand acres of oil and gas leases in northeastern Nevada. The plaintiff's expert opined that the misappropriation of the trade secrets had caused more than $1 billion dollars in damages.
- EPMM Colorado v. Green Cross Colorado (Denver Cnty. Dist. Ct. 2015) - Won reversal of a TRO that had been issued ex parte at the close of business on a Friday, effectively shutting down operations for a major manufacturing and distribution client, and subsequently won rejection of the injunction against WTO's client.
- Obtained a preliminary injunction following a full-day evidentiary hearing in a Colorado district court on behalf of a large Ohio-based commercial painting company in a case involving trade secrets and a noncompete agreement.
- Golan v. Holder, 132 U.S. 873 (2012) - Represented plaintiffs challenging the constitutionality of increasing copyright protection by 20 years and Section 514 of Uruguay Round Agreements Act extending copyright protection to foreign works. The United States Supreme Court ruled the statutes were constitutional.
- Handled patent infringement litigation in cases involving a wide range of products such as video-synchronizing software, voicemail and voice compression technology, antivirus software, data storage technology, data flow algorithms, internet purchase software, blood testing methodologies, blood gas measuring devices, batteries, cochlear implants, polymers, automotive equipment, ski boots, medical syringes, vitamins, and pharmaceuticals.
- Successfully handled the appeal of a trademark infringement case in which the trial court had found willful infringement and awarded attorneys' fees. The appellate court affirmed the decision of the trial court.
- Successfully defended a leading global developer of implantable, high-technology neurostimulation devices used in the treatment of deafness and chronic pain, in a preliminary injunction hearing when its main competitor claimed that our client had stolen trade secrets and improperly hired the competitor's former employees. Following denial of the competitor's motion for preliminary injunction filed in a Colorado district court, we defeated seven separate appeals to the Colorado Court of Appeals and the Colorado Supreme Court.
- Successfully represented a major telecommunications company in numerous temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction proceedings involving interruption of service and other business and trade secret claims. Two cases that settled favorably for our client involved the protection of trade secrets related to the hiring of top level executives who were formerly with our client's largest competitor.