Bar and Court Admissions
Melissa Romero represents clients in complex commercial litigation, as well as in cases involving product and professional liability. She has substantial experience developing and implementing litigation and trial strategies, taking and defending depositions, participating in hearings, and leading complex discovery and motions practice.
Before joining WTO, she worked as a law clerk to The Honorable Christine M. Arguello of the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado and The Honorable Terry Fox of the Colorado Court of Appeals.
Melissa graduated from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law where she received a full-tuition Chancellor’s Scholarship and served as the Executive Board Articles Editor of the Denver University Law Review. She also received numerous honors and awards during law school, including the Reese Persuasive Writing Award, the Hartje Objective Writing Award, and several Scholastic Excellence Awards, which are given to the top law student in each class.
- Won a complete victory following a four-day arbitration for one of the nation's largest beauty and wellness franchisors, which was accused of franchise disclosure violations, violations of unfair competition laws, and breach of contract. WTO also successfully countersued for breach of contract and trade secret misappropriation, obtained preliminary and permanent injunctions, recovered liquidated damages, and secured an award of attorneys' fees and costs.
- Won partial summary judgment and dismissal of a strict product liability claim brought against a national automobile manufacturer (WTO's client) based on unsupported allegations of a defect in the client's design of its vehicle's occupant restraint system.
- Won a directed verdict on a former senior bank executive's Colorado Wage Claim Act claim and voluntary dismissal of defamation and punitive damages claims for a large regional bank the night before closing arguments after four-plus years of litigation.
- Won complete summary judgment of all seven claims brought against our client in an employment matter involving unsupported allegations of wrongful termination, retaliation, and age discrimination.
- Won a preliminary injunction for one of the nation's largest health and wellness franchisors against three competing fitness and nutrition studios that had stolen our client's trade secrets, infringed on its trademarks, and breached non-compete obligations.
- Won complete administrative closure of removal proceedings, allowing WTO's asylum client and her minor son to remain in the United States with work authorization, indefinitely.
- Won two preliminary injunctions in arbitration proceedings involving theft of trade secrets and breach of contract.
- Successfully defended a real estate professional and obtained a favorable settlement in breach of contract and fraudulent misrepresentation action involving over $50 million in claimed damages.
- Settled a breach of contract case on favorable terms, reducing the client's payment to just 12% of the plaintiff's original demand.
- Obtained a favorable defense settlement in a medical malpractice case following the first few days of a jury trial. Handled numerous aspects of trial including witness prep, depositions, and jury instructions.
- Drafted pleadings, dispositive motions, and mediation statements for a professional malpractice case that resulted in a favorable settlement for WTO's clients.
- Represented an appliance manufacturer in a product liability class action that settled favorably.
- Represented clients pro bono in asylum and breach of contract proceedings.
- Serving as advisory counsel in numerous high-stakes commercial proceedings, including involving breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation, and patent litigation.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Co-Author, "The Use of Court Appointed Experts and Masters in Civil Cases," 46 Colo. Law. 1, (January 2017).
"Making Space for Cultural Differences in Child Welfare," 38 NACC: Guardian 6, (August 2016).
"Connick v. Thompson: Forsaking Constitutional Due Process for Fear of Flooding Litigation and Loss of Municipal Autonomy," 89 DENV. U.L. REV. 771, (December 2012).
Fluent Spanish speaker
Civil Litigation Clinic, Student Attorney
Rocky Mountain Children’s Law Center
Bilingual Legal and Social Work Intern
Jefferson County Office of the Public Defender, Social Work Intern
Colorado Succeeds, Education Policy Intern
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
The Best Lawyers in America
Ones to Watch - Commercial Litigation, 2021-2024
Ones to Watch - Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2022-2024
Ones to Watch - Product Liability Litigation, 2023-2024
Colorado Super Lawyers
Rising Stars, Business Litigation, 2023
Rocky Mountain Children's Law Center
Board Member, 2022 - Present
Law School...Yes We Can!
Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
Spanish Speaking Lawyers’ Committee of the Colorado Bar Association
Past Vice Chair, Member
Colorado General Counsel Mentor Program, 2022 - 2023
Colorado Women’s Bar Association, Member
Colorado Hispanic Bar Association, Member
Our Courts Hispanic Outreach Committee
Member and Volunteer Presenter
Project Safeguard Legal Clinics, Former Interpreter
Legal Nights at Mi Casa Legal Resource Center, Former Interpreter
DU Graduate School of Social Work
Adjunct Professor, The Law of Family and Child, 2015-2018
Allen Elementary School in Austin, TX
Bilingual Third Grade Teacher