Bar and Court Admissions
Melissa Romero helps clients develop and implement litigation and trial strategies across a wide range of complex civil disputes. She regularly handles case strategy, discovery disputes, and critical motions practice for matters involving a variety of legal issues, including complex commercial disputes, product liability, and professional liability.
Melissa has also gained valuable experience preparing fact and expert witnesses for trial and taking depositions. Before joining WTO, she worked as a law clerk to The Honorable Christine M. Arguello of the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado and The Honorable Terry Fox of the Colorado Court of Appeals.
Melissa graduated from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law where she received a full-tuition Chancellor’s Scholarship and served as the Executive Board Articles Editor of the Denver University Law Review. She also received numerous honors and awards during law school, including the Reese Persuasive Writing Award, the Hartje Objective Writing Award, and several Scholastic Excellence Awards, which are given to the top law student in each class.
- Won a preliminary injunction for one of the nation's largest health and wellness franchisors against three competing fitness and nutrition studios that had stolen our client's trade secrets, infringed on its trademarks, and breached non-compete obligations.
- Won favorable defense settlement in a medical malpractice case following the first few days of a jury trial. Handled numerous aspects of trial including witness prep, depositions, and jury instructions.
- Drafted pleadings, dispositive motions, and mediation statements for professional malpractice cases that resulted in favorable settlements for WTO's clients.
- Prepared a professional witness for a complex deposition involving expansive commercial disputes stemming from several interrelated state and federal lawsuits.
- Settled a breach of contract case on favorable terms, reducing the client's payment to just 12% of the plaintiff's original demand.
- Represented an appliance manufacturer in a product liability class action that settled favorably.
- Taken, defended, and participated in over two dozen fact and expert depositions in complex commercial, personal injury, and product liability matters.
- Served as local counsel in several trade secret cases.
- Serving as trial counsel in a national automobile manufacturer in a high stakes product liability case.
- Serving as trial counsel for a national trucking corporation, local service provider, and driver in an ongoing personal injury dispute.
- Represents pro bono Spanish-speaking clients in asylum cases.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Co-author, "The Use of Court Appointed Experts and Masters in Civil Cases," 46 Colo. Law. 1 (January 2017).
"Making Space for Cultural Differences in Child Welfare," 38 NACC: Guardian 6 (August 2016).
"Connick v. Thompson: Forsaking Constitutional Due Process for Fear of Flooding Litigation and Loss of Municipal Autonomy," 89 DENV. U.L. REV. 771 (2012).
Fluent Spanish speaker
Civil Litigation Clinic, Student Attorney
Rocky Mountain Children’s Law Center
Bilingual Legal and Social Work Intern
Jefferson County Office of the Public Defender, Social Work Intern
Colorado Succeeds, Education Policy Intern
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
The Best Lawyers in America
Ones to Watch - Commercial Litigation, 2021
Spanish Speaking Lawyers’ Committee of the Colorado Bar Association
Immediate Past Vice Chair, Member
Colorado Women’s Bar Association, Member
Colorado Hispanic Bar Association, Member
Our Courts Hispanic Outreach Committee
Member and Volunteer Presenter
Project Safeguard Legal Clinics, Interpreter
Legal Nights at Mi Casa Legal Resource Center, Interpreter
DU Graduate School of Social Work
Adjunct Professor, The Law of Family and Child, 2015-2018
Allen Elementary School in Austin, TX
Bilingual Third Grade Teacher
Camping, long-distance running, urban farming, Motown, blues, home improvement.