Bar and Court Admissions
Melissa Romero represents clients in complex commercial litigation, as well as in cases involving product and professional liability. She has substantial experience developing and implementing litigation and trial strategies, taking and defending depositions, participating in hearings, and leading complex discovery and motions practice.
Before joining WTO, she worked as a law clerk to The Honorable Christine M. Arguello of the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado and The Honorable Terry Fox of the Colorado Court of Appeals.
Melissa graduated from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law where she received a full-tuition Chancellor’s Scholarship and served as the Executive Board Articles Editor of the Denver University Law Review. She also received numerous honors and awards during law school, including the Reese Persuasive Writing Award, the Hartje Objective Writing Award, and several Scholastic Excellence Awards, which are given to the top law student in each class.
- Won a directed verdict on a former senior bank executive's Colorado Wage Claim Act claim and voluntary dismissal of defamation and punitive damages claims for a large regional bank the night before closing arguments after four-plus years of litigation.
- Torberson v. BOKF NA (D. Colo. Aug. 5, 2021 ) - Won complete summary judgment of all seven claims brought against our client in an employment matter involving unsupported allegations of wrongful termination, retaliation, and age discrimination.
- Fitness Together Franchise, L.L.C. v. EM Fitness, L.L.C. (D. Colo. Oct. 16, 2020 ) - Won a preliminary injunction for one of the nation's largest health and wellness franchisors against three competing fitness and nutrition studios that had stolen our client's trade secrets, infringed on its trademarks, and breached non-compete obligations.
- Won two preliminary injunctions in arbitration proceedings involving theft of trade secrets and breach of contract.
- Successfully defended a real estate professional and obtained a favorable settlement in breach of contract and fraudulent misrepresentation action involving over $50 million in claimed damages.
- Settled a breach of contract case on favorable terms, reducing the client's payment to just 12% of the plaintiff's original demand.
- Obtained a favorable defense settlement in a medical malpractice case following the first few days of a jury trial. Handled numerous aspects of trial including witness prep, depositions, and jury instructions.
- Drafted pleadings, dispositive motions, and mediation statements for a professional malpractice case that resulted in a favorable settlement for WTO's clients.
- Taken or defended over three dozen fact and expert depositions in complex commercial, personal injury, and product liability matters.
- Represented an appliance manufacturer in a product liability class action that settled favorably.
- Represents clients pro bono in asylum and breach of contract proceedings.
- Serving as advisory counsel in numerous high-stakes commercial proceedings, including involving breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation, and patent litigation.
- Serving as trial counsel in a national automobile manufacturer in a high stakes product liability case.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
"The Use of Court Appointed Experts and Masters in Civil Cases," Co-Author, 46 Colo. Law. 1, (January 2017).
"Making Space for Cultural Differences in Child Welfare," 38 NACC: Guardian 6, (August 2016).
"Connick v. Thompson: Forsaking Constitutional Due Process for Fear of Flooding Litigation and Loss of Municipal Autonomy," 89 DENV. U.L. REV. 771, (December 2012).
Fluent Spanish speaker
Civil Litigation Clinic, Student Attorney
Rocky Mountain Children’s Law Center
Bilingual Legal and Social Work Intern
Jefferson County Office of the Public Defender, Social Work Intern
Colorado Succeeds, Education Policy Intern
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
The Best Lawyers in America
Ones to Watch - Commercial Litigation, 2021-2023
Ones to Watch - Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2022, 2023
Ones to Watch - Product Liability Litigation, 2023
Rocky Mountain Children's Law Center
Board Member, 2022
Law School...Yes We Can!
Spanish Speaking Lawyers’ Committee of the Colorado Bar Association
Past Vice Chair, Member
Colorado Women’s Bar Association, Member
Colorado Hispanic Bar Association, Member
Our Courts Hispanic Outreach Committee
Member and Volunteer Presenter
Project Safeguard Legal Clinics, Former Interpreter
Legal Nights at Mi Casa Legal Resource Center, Former Interpreter
DU Graduate School of Social Work
Adjunct Professor, The Law of Family and Child, 2015-2018
Allen Elementary School in Austin, TX
Bilingual Third Grade Teacher