Bar and Court Admissions
Miles Orton represents clients in high-stakes litigation and arbitration, including complex commercial disputes. He also has significant experience handling multidistrict litigation, product liability, and employment cases, as well as global criminal and compliance-related investigations. In 2017, Miles was recognized as a team member of ALM Media’s Transatlantic Litigation Team of the Year and The American Lawyer’s Global Dispute of the Year: Transnational Litigation for his work on one of the largest cross-border insolvencies.
Miles also has extensive expertise helping parties explore creative solutions to complex disputes as a neutral court-appointed mediator in federal and state court.
In addition to his regular practice, Miles regularly represents pro bono clients. He has handled matters concerning immigration, intestacy, administrative, criminal, and family law. In 2019, he was the recipient of the Legal Aid Society’s Pro Bono Publico Award for his assistance on a successful amicus brief filed in the New York Court of Appeals.
Prior to joining WTO, Miles worked in the New York City and Paris offices of a global law firm. While there, he held a secondment at a large aerospace and defense company in Europe where he helped strengthen compliance policies and advised on third-party due diligence procedures.
- Conducted a multiyear anti-corruption compliance investigation of a major international company's relationships with hundreds of third parties and dozens of associated investment projects.
- Led a due diligence review of a multinational company's relationships with business partners in Southeast Asia.
- In re MF Global Inc.: Conducted an internal investigation for the trustee for the liquidation of MF Global Inc. surrounding the events leading to the shortfall of customer property in preparation for court and U.S. congressional hearings.
- Represented a finance executive in a criminal investigation of alleged marketing kickbacks.
- Represented a mineral products company in bankruptcy litigation.
- Represented a pre-revenue company CEO in an SEC investigation and enforcement action.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company against product liability claims in a multidistrict litigation.
- Achieved favorable settlement for an executive in an employment arbitration against the client's former company after winning enforcement of an indemnity agreement.
- Served on a seven-week trial team representing insolvency administrators of Nortel Group's European, Middle Eastern, and African affiliates in one of the largest cross-border insolvencies involving the division of $7.3 billion.
- Represented various investment funds in sovereign debt litigation over Argentina's default.
- Successfully defended an international client in a federal court action seeking to vacate an arbitration award in an international arbitration administered by the ICDR involving numerous fraudulent subsidiary companies.
- Represented international companies in various product liability litigation risk mitigation exercises.
- Represented pro bono clients in immigration, civil rights, family, and criminal appellate cases.
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Legal Aid Society 2019 Pro Bono Publico Award
2017 Transatlantic Litigation Team of the Year
The American Lawyer
2017 Global Dispute of the Year
Commitment to Justice Award, 2015
New York State Bar Association’s Empire State Counsel Award, 2012-2015
2020 Graduate of EDNY Mediator Incubator Program and Member of EDNY Mediation Panel
Distance running, chess, and travel.