Bar and Court Admissions
Jacob Rey represents clients in high-exposure cases nationwide. His experience includes complex commercial litigation, product liability, and professional negligence matters. Jake has served on several trial teams, argued significant motions before federal and state courts, and handled all stages of discovery.
- Obtained relief for an oil and gas company to enforce the terms of a multimillion-dollar purchase and sale agreement with another oil and gas company.
- Won a $39 million plaintiff's jury verdict as co-trial counsel for Allergan and Duke University after a five-day patent infringement trial in federal court in Colorado.
- Served as lead counsel in series of lawsuits concerning contract disputes between nation-leading telecom companies with over $1 billion at issue. Achieved highly favorable settlement.
- Represented a 100-year-old precious metals refiner against a Newmont Corporation subsidiary's allegations of civil theft, claiming our client stole millions in gold and other precious metals. Obtained significant monetary recovery and public withdrawal of all civil theft allegations and dismissal of all claims with prejudice.
- Won affirmative summary judgment for a Canadian company in a dispute to recognize a $9 million breach-of-contract judgment entered in Alberta, Canada. WTO lawyers persuaded a Colorado federal court to recognize the judgment without an evidentiary hearing under the Uniform Foreign Country Money Judgments Recognition Act.
- Won summary judgment for an insurance company client on defamation claims.
- Won a Kentucky appeal for a law firm accused of aiding and abetting a client's breach of fiduciary duty in a $500 million estate dispute.
Other Representative Experience
- Won affirmance of summary judgment for USAA against breach of contract and bad faith claims following the rescission of a life insurance policy due to material misrepresentations in the application for insurance benefits.
- Won a defense jury verdict for a lawyer and law firm facing outrageous conduct and malicious prosecution claims.
- Won a significant appeal for Owners Insurance Company against a condominium association that filed an inflated insurance claim and sought more than $5 million in total damages.
- Won a federal jury verdict in a trial for an insurer pursuing counterclaims against a homeowners association that filed an inflated insurance claim and sought more than $5 million in total damages. The Court entered judgment for the client for the full amount that had been paid in benefits, plus interest and costs.
- Representing a leading medical technology company in nationwide litigation regarding MRI contrast dye. Obtained successful voluntary and court-ordered dismissal of dozens of cases.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
"Giving Credit Where Credit is Due: Ensuring State Emissions Reductions Are Given Credit in Future Clean Power Plan Regulations," Co-Authored, Public Utilities Fortnightly.
- Law360, "Home Insurer Turns Tables On HOA's Coverage Suit," October 22, 2018.
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Colorado Bar Association
Colorado Super Lawyers
Rising Stars, Business Litigation, 2022-2023
The Best Lawyers in America
Ones to Watch - Commercial Litigation, 2022, 2023-2024
Ones to Watch - Appellate Practice, 2024
Colorado Legal Services
Community Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Sun Valley Youth Center, Board Member
Mentor and Volunteer, 2016-2017
Skiing, golf, and traveling