Bar and Court Admissions
Jacob Rey handles various types of civil litigation at the trial and appellate levels. He is a former law clerk to The Honorable Michael E. Hegarty of the United States District Court for the District of Colorado. During his clerkship he drafted orders and actively participated in numerous settlement conferences and trials in the areas of insurance, employment, contracts, and civil rights.
Jacob graduated from the University of Colorado Law School where he was awarded the George Bermant Award for Best Student Work in Securities Law.
- Won a Kentucky appeal for a law firm accused of aiding and abetting a client's breach of fiduciary duty in a $500 million estate dispute.
- Won a defense jury verdict for a lawyer and law firm facing outrageous conduct and malicious prosecution claims.
- Won affirmance of summary judgment for USAA against breach of contract and bad faith claims following the rescission of a life insurance policy due to material misrepresentations in the application for insurance benefits.
- Sunflower Condo. Ass'n v. Owners Ins. Co., No. 18-1478, 2020 WL 598981 (10th Cir. Feb. 7, 2020) - Won a significant appeal for Owners Insurance Company against a condominium association that filed an inflated insurance claim and sought more than $5 million in total damages.
- Achieved a complete defense victory for a hospital client and staff by negotiating dismissal with prejudice—with no money paid—of a lawsuit in Colorado state court. The case involved highly sensitive criminal and civil claims of post-surgery sexual assault.
- Sunflower Condo. Ass'n v. Owners Ins. Co., No. 16-cv-02946 (D. Colo. 2018) - Won a federal jury verdict in a trial for an insurer pursuing counterclaims against a homeowners association that filed an inflated insurance claim and sought more than $5 million in total damages. The Court entered judgment for the client for the full amount that had been paid in benefits, plus interest and costs.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Co-author, "Giving Credit Where Credit is Due: Ensuring State Emissions Reductions Are Given Credit in Future Clean Power Plan Regulations," Public Utilities Fortnightly
- Law360, "Home Insurer Turns Tables On HOA's Coverage Suit," October 22, 2018.
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Colorado Bar Association
Colorado Legal Services
Community Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Sun Valley Youth Center, Board Member
Mentor and Volunteer, 2016-2017
Skiing, golf, and travelling