Bar and Court Admissions
Johan Flynn serves as national coordinating counsel to product manufacturers in high-stakes asbestos litigation and trials. In 17 years of practice, Johan has developed and implemented nationwide strategies to successfully handle more than 30,000 asbestos cases, and he has taken and defended hundreds of expert depositions. Johan is Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer-Review rated.
Johan has developed and implemented nationwide strategies to successfully handle more than 30,000 asbestos cases. He has taken and defended hundreds of expert depositions. Johan’s knowledge of the scientific and medical issues at issue in asbestos cases is exhaustive. Johan has, for many years, handled virtually all aspects of case coordination and trial preparation for his clients. He possesses unique knowledge and awareness of the key components to defend these cases. Furthermore, Johan is extremely comfortable with e-discovery and litigation technology. Taken together, these factors lead to unique value and efficiencies for his clients.
- Supervises and handles all aspects of the defense of thousands of asbestos cases nationwide.
- Developed and implemented an overall asbestos litigation management system to drive down legal spend and settlement costs and reduce case counts for a client facing tens of thousands of cases and hundreds of millions of dollars in potential liability.
- Instituted a comprehensive approach to identify, develop, and retain dozens of experts in numerous specialties to ensure consistent and reliable scientific and medical testimony in thousands of asbestos cases across the country.
- Extensive experience in asbestos low-dose exposure claims and accompanying medical and scientific theories.
- Serve as strategic advisor to clients on multimillion-dollar liability cases, including issues related to trial strategy and settlement guidance.
- Developed and maintains a comprehensive library and archive of key medical, scientific, and state of the art articles regarding asbestos.
- Handled hundreds of asbestos exposure claims arising out of "crane-brake" litigation in the Bethlehem Steel Mill in Sparrow's Point, Maryland and contributed to victories at the summary judgment, intermediate appellate, and Maryland Court of Appeals stages.
- As local counsel, handled hundreds of cases involving pumps, boilers, turbines, raw asbestos fiber, phenolic resin-based products, mastics, construction equipment, cranes, oil purifiers, industrial gaskets, wire and cable, fire equipment, engine gaskets, friction materials, and joint compound/dry wall materials.
- Won a defense verdict, as second chair trial counsel, in a living mesothelioma case following a seven-week trial in Mclean County, Illinois.
- Won a defense verdict, as second chair trial counsel, in a deceased mesothelioma case in Seattle, Washington.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
"New Plaintiff and Product Investigation: Strategies for Investigating & Defending Plaintiffs' Exposure Claims," DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, San Diego, CA, (November 2007).
DeHay & Elliston LLP
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer-Review Rated
National Member of the Order of Barristers
Defense Research Institute
Illinois Bar Association
Maryland State Bar Association
Hiking, jogging, travel, cooking, and home brewing