Bar and Court Admissions
Marissa Ronk represents sophisticated clients in complex commercial and class action litigation at the trial and appellate levels. She serves as a case manager handling the daily responsibilities in multiple litigations.
Marissa's experience includes drafting and arguing motions in court, preparing and examining witnesses in arbitrations and depositions, and authoring appellate briefs. Marissa serves on the firm’s rapid response team when the preservation of facts at an incident scene is critical to a successful defense.
Prior to joining WTO in 2015, Marissa worked in the litigation department of a large, international law firm, where she handled product liability and consumer class action matters. She was involved in women's leadership, pro bono, and recruiting efforts.
- United Power, Inc. et al. v. Tri-State Generation & Transmission Ass'n. Inc., No. 19F-0521E (Colo. Public Utilities Commission) - Won a $1.25 billion exit fee dispute for an electric distributor against its generation and transmission provider. The groundbreaking decision followed one of the first remote trials in the nation in the COVID-19 era.
- In re Juul Labs Inc. Marketing, Sales Practices, and Products Liability Litigation (19-md-02193-WHO, N.D. Cal.) - Serving as lead national trial counsel to a major U.S. distributor of vaping products in federal multidistrict litigation in California. WTO is liaison counsel to all of the distributor defendants in the litigation.
- Represent a major international oil and gas company in litigation regarding leasehold rights across hundreds of thousands of acres.
- State Farm v. Griggs, 419 P.3d 572 (Colo. 2018) - Won an "extraordinary remedy" from the Colorado Supreme Court reversing a trial-court order implying a waiver of the attorney-client privilege. The unanimous opinion establishes that the mere "fact that privileged information might become relevant in a given lawsuit could not alone be enough to establish an implied waiver."
- Recovered all funds claimed in a breach of contract dispute between two Fortune 20 companies.
- Represented a Fortune 20 company in an international arbitration hearing that resulted in a settlement, after the hearing concluded, for more than 90% of our client's claim.
- Yatooma v. OP Property Management et al. (C.D. Cal. 2017) - Won a motion to dismiss with prejudice a putative class action in federal court in California. The plaintiff alleged violations of the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and California's Rosenthal Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.
- Magill v. Ford Motor Co. (Colo. 2016) - Won a Rule 21 petition (an "extraordinary remedy") for Ford to the Colorado Supreme Court in a case involving general jurisdiction and venue claims. The opinion makes it harder for companies with no connection to Colorado to be sued in the state.
- Represent Skyjack Inc. as national trial counsel in product liability cases involving aerial lift and boom equipment.
- Serve as SWAT counsel for a major insurer for healthcare professional liability.
- Represented a major Colorado manufacturer in its winning motion to dismiss class action litigation alleging illegal pesticide use.
- Defended several manufacturers of high fructose corn syrup in a multimillion dollar dispute in which plaintiff alleged her consumption of the product caused her diabetes. The Western District of New York dismissed the complaint with prejudice and that dismissal was upheld by the Second Circuit.
- Represented multiple corporations in various class action matters alleging recording of calls in violation of the California Invasion of Privacy Act. Negotiated dismissal of them all for a nuisance fee.
- Defended national automobile manufacturer in putative class action alleging economic damage resulting from repairs to driver's seat. Plaintiffs voluntarily dismissed their case without payment.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- "Trial by Webcam: Tips From a Firsthand Experience," Law360 (May 28, 2020)
- Co-authored, "The Affordable Care Act and Colorado's Collateral Source Rule," Denver Law Journal (June 21, 2016).
- Benchmark Litigation 2021 Includes 23 WTO Lawyers
- Lessons Learned From One of Nation's First Virtual Trials
- Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell Elects Six New Partners
- WTO Leads Top 100 in Colorado Super Lawyers
- Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell Welcomes Three Associates
- Law Week Colorado, "WTO Brings on Three Associates," June 24, 2015.
Winston & Strawn LLP
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
The Best Lawyers in America
Ones to Watch - Commercial Litigation, 2021
Ones to Watch - Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants, 2021
Ones to Watch - Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, 2021
Colorado Rising Stars
Personal Injury - Products Defense, 2018-2020
Future Star, 2020
Cooking, biking, and Scrabble