Bar and Court Admissions
A former Assistant U.S. Attorney, Habib Nasrullah maintains an active trial practice and defends clients facing white collar claims and investigations. He regularly represents global clients in their commercial, tort, and investigation matters in the United States. Habib is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
Habib’s background as a federal prosecutor makes him particularly valuable to clients in criminal cases and civil cases that involve a parallel criminal investigation. Habib strives to resolve these matters in the earliest possible stages, sparing clients the potential of facing criminal charges or intense public scrutiny. Habib also conducts internal investigations and counsels individual and corporate clients on a variety of federal and state compliance issues in the healthcare, technology, aviation, and financial institution sectors.
Habib also serves as trial and national coordinating counsel on commercial, mass tort, and complex product liability lawsuits, including multidistrict litigation. Habib’s clients include Fortune 100 and other leading companies, and he has substantial experience in federal and state courts across the U.S.
A Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, Habib frequently manages mass tort litigation involving dockets of several thousand cases across multiple jurisdictions. He recently defended a major healthcare industry client against more than 12,000 claims involving its dialysis products. In another matter, Habib is leading the litigation strategy involving more than 3,000 claims against a popular cholesterol drug. Habib also negotiated the dismissal of a food distributor from wide-ranging litigation relating to the deadly 2011 Listeria outbreak linked to Colorado cantaloupes, which sickened hundreds and killed 33 people.
In all of his engagements, Habib works with clients and local counsel to conceptualize and implement coherent and effective litigation plans for multidistrict and complex litigation. Clients frequently retain him to try cases involving sophisticated expert and evidentiary issues with potentially high exposure when trial is imminent.
White Collar & Investigations
- Successfully represented a leading global chemical company in an investigation involving multiple federal agencies and international trade compliance issues.
- Successfully represented a Chinese national in an investigation involving multiple federal agencies and allegations of arms trading.
- Represent a stock transfer agent in securities fraud investigated by the United States.
- Represent a federal contractor in a procurement integrity investigation.
- Represent senior executives in a False Claims Act investigation involving allegations of fraud on defense agencies.
- Represent a senior partner of a physicians group in a federal investigation into alleged healthcare fraud and related qui tam proceedings.
- Represent the former CEO of a hospice care organization in a federal False Claims Act investigation and related qui tam litigation.
- Represent a technology company under investigation for alleged conflict of interest charges in a government contract.
- Represent a cloud-based healthcare recordkeeping service in Stored Communications Act and related compliance issues and grand jury proceedings.
- Represented a Fortune 10 company in an international investigation into the alleged destruction of documents related to ongoing litigation.
- Represented an originator and servicer of mortgage loans in multiple investigations conducted by the United States into allegations of mortgage and appraisal fraud.
- Represented one of the nation's largest manufacturers of mobile home parts in allegations of corruption and regulatory noncompliance.
- Represented an airline pilot in an investigation by the United States of crew intoxication.
- Represented a prominent Colorado lawyer in an investigation by the State of Colorado involving allegations of securities fraud.
- Represented a senior public official in corruption-related proceedings being investigated by the United States.
- Represented a private school following a sexual assault investigation.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice, without any payment by WTO's client, for an online educational content provider facing allegations that it violated the Colorado Consumer Protection Act and put minors at risk.
- Negotiated settlement for a subcontractor drilling company in a significant public works project in California.
- American Family v. Copper Oaks (D. Colo. 2018) - Won reversal of a $3 million property appraisal award against American Family and disqualification of the plaintiff's national property appraiser as well as the umpire on grounds that they were not impartial and failed to disclose directly relevant financial incentives and relationships.
- Represented a Japanese-owned telecommunications company in a theft of trade secret case.
- Stillwater Mining Co. v. Power Mount, Inc. (D. Colo. 2017) - Won a complete defense ruling for a heavy metals supplier after a week-long bench trial involving a breach of contract claim in which the plaintiff sought $28 million.
- Sipes v. Allstate Indemnity (D. Colo. 2013) - Won a complete defense verdict in a bad faith matter on behalf of Allstate before the United States District Court for the District of Colorado.
- Represented an Icelandic software developer in a dispute with a subcontractor.
- Obtained summary judgment in district court in a professional negligence claim against WTO's client, a construction consultant, in a matter related to criminal charges brought against the consultant's client, a utility company.
- Served as trial counsel in bad faith case involving significant water damage claims at a nursing home facility.
- Served as national counsel to a global healthcare company in multidistrict litigation involving over 12,000 claims relating to dialysis products. WTO helped develop national resolution strategy, identified bellwether cases, and negotiated settlement of all claims.
- Represented a food distributor in allegations of Listeria contamination resulting in 33 deaths and 146 confirmed cases in one of the largest and deadliest food-borne illness outbreaks in the United States.
- Represented Continental Airlines and Global Aerospace in matters stemming from a 2008 incident in which a plane skidded off the runway at Denver International Airport due to strong crosswinds. The claims involved over 200 plaintiffs.
- Retained as lead trial counsel to defend General Electric against claims brought by more than 100 NATO soldiers for cancer-causing exposure to ionizing radiation from missile systems used during the Cold War. Settled all 40 related cases for what would have amounted to approximately two months' worth of defense costs.
- Serve as trial and national coordinating counsel for a generic drug manufacturer in nationwide litigation involving metoclopramide, alendronate sodium, allopurinol, and finasteride.
- Serve as trial and national coordinating counsel for the largest pharmaceutical distributor in North America in nationwide litigation involving Zoloft, Lipitor, Effexor, and fen-phen.
- Serve as trial counsel for a dental clinic involving allegations of overtreatment of pediatric patients.
- Served as trial counsel for a water softener manufacturer against allegations of bacterial contamination resulting in Crohn's disease.
Criminal (as Assistant U.S. Attorney)
- Successfully tried a case filed by a sitting county court judge in southern Colorado for alleged violations of the Privacy Act stemming from the conduct of FBI agents.
- Served as trial counsel for the Denver Mint in a sexual harassment and hostile work environment lawsuit based upon an alleged assault on a female employee by a supervisor.
- Prosecuted a Mexican national for failure to pay child support resulting in the second-highest award of restitution obtained by the United States Government in a federal child support prosecution. Habib was awarded the Inspector General's Integrity Award by the Office of the Inspector General of the Health and Human Services Department.
- Litigated multiple issues of first impression in the District of Colorado concerning computer forensic evidence under the Adam Walsh Child Safety and Protection Act of 2006.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- "Ethics: Pitfalls in Settlement Negotiations," Litigation Management in a New York Minute - 2017 Edition, presented by The Network of Trial Law Firms, New York, NY (August 4, 2017).
"The Art & Science of Jury Selection," presented at the CDLA Trial Academy (April 27, 2017).
- "Off-Label Marketing and Free Speech in the Post-Caronia and Amarin World," presented at the ABA Life Sciences Seminar (September 21, 2016).
- "Ethical Issues in Internal Investigations," Litigation Management in a New York Minute - 2015 Edition, presented by The Network of Trial Law Firms, New York, NY (August 7, 2015).
- "Off-Label Marketing in the Post-Caronia World," presented at the ABA Life Sciences Legal Summit (March 4, 2015).
"Taking and Defending Depositions," presented for CLE credit to assistant U.S. attorneys and other federal agency counsel at the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Colorado (December 3, 2014).
"Settlement, Approval, Ethics, and Beyond," presented at Managing Complex Litigation 2014: Class Actions, Mass Torts & MDL (PLI conference).
- "Federal Preemption and its Impact on Generic Drug Manufacturers," presented to the ABA Life Sciences Legal Summit (February 27, 2014).
"Prospective Changes in Generic Drug Regulation," presented to underwriters from CNA (January 7, 2014).
"Interviews With Former Employees: Strategies and Pitfalls," The Prac. Litigator, at 47 (March 2005).
- "Preparation and Presentation of Defenses of a Punitive Damages Claim in a Product Liability Case," presented at the Center for International Legal Studies' International Product Liability and Personal Injury Conference (March 25, 2003).
- "Punitive Damages: A View From the Trenches," presented at American Tort Reform Association Annual Legislative Conference for State Coalition Leaders and Citizens Against Lawsuit Abuse (November 14, 2002).
- Co-author "Working with International Suppliers: Sound Contracts Minimize Risk," CNA's Life Science POV (January 2013).
- "Mississippi Adopts 'Tort Reform'," LJN's Prod. Liab. L. & Strategy, at 1 (April 2003).
- "Pretrial Depositions and Interrogatories May No Longer Be Private," LJN's Prod. Liab. L. & Strategy, at 1 (January 2003).
- "Protecting Confidential Settlement Agreements From Third Party Access," LJN's Prod. Liab. L. & Strategy, at 1 (February 2002).
- "To Beep or Not to Beep: The Optional Equipment Defense," LJN's Prod. Liab. L. & Strategy, at 4 (April 2001).
- "Protecting the Defendant: Challenging 'Other Acts' Evidence in Product Liability Cases," LJN's Prod. Liab. L. & Strategy, at 1 (June 2000).
- Co-authored, "Working with International Suppliers: Sound Contracts Minimize Risk." CNA's Life Sciences POV (2013)
- 27 WTO Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America 2019
- The Christian Science Monitor, "An Unprecedented Effort To Stem Opioid Crisis – And The Judge Behind It," May 9, 2018.
- WTO Leads Top 100 in Colorado Super Lawyers
- 26 WTO Lawyers ranked in the 24th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
- Who's Who Legal Names Seven from WTO for Product Liability Defense
- 42 WTO Lawyers Named to the 2017 Colorado Super Lawyers List
- 20 WTO Lawyers ranked in the 23rd Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®
- Habib Nasrullah Elected Fellow by the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Law Week Colorado, "WTO Partner Named Fellow of American College of Trial Lawyers," May 13, 2016.
- 20 WTO Lawyers ranked in the 22nd Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®
- Network of Trial Law Firms, "Ethics: Ethical Issues in Internal Investigations," August 17, 2015.
- Legal 500 US Ranks Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell in Three Areas Nationwide
- Best Lawyers® 2015 Ranks 20 WTO Attorneys
- Benchmark Litigation 2013 Ranks Seven WTO Partners Among 33 Colorado Litigation Stars
- Knowledge@Wharton, "Indian Outsourcing Companies Think Strategy Even as Pressure Mounts," December 16, 2010.
- Habib Nasrullah Receives Internet Safety Award
United States Attorney's Office (District of Colorado)
Parcel, Mauro, Hultin & Spaanstra, P.C.
McKenna, Conner & Cuneo LLP
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
Federal Rules of Evidence Committee
The Best Lawyers in America
Mass Tort/Class Action Litigation - Defendants Lawyer of the Year, 2017, 2020
Commercial Litigation, 2013-2020
Mass Tort/Class Action Litigation, 2016-2020
Product Liability Litigation, 2012-2020
The Legal 500 United States
Litigation: Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense, 2013, 2015
Colorado Super Lawyers
Business Litigation, 2006, 2010-2020
Top 100, 2013-2019
Commercial Litigation - Colorado, 2013-2018
Insurance Litigation - Colorado, 2013 -2018
Product Liability - Colorado, 2013-2018
Personal Injury - Colorado, 2013-2016
The International Who's Who of Life Sciences Lawyers, 2017
International Who's Who of Product Liability Defense Lawyers, 2016-2017, 2019
Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
Diversity & The Bar
Law Firm Rainmakers, 2011
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Certificate of Appreciation for outstanding prosecutive skills and
assistance as an Assistant United States Attorney, 2008
United States Department of Justice, Office of Inspector General, Denver Field Office
Professionalism Award, 2008
United States Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Inspector General
Integrity Award for major contributions as an Assistant United States Attorney toward the goals and mission of the Inspector General
Defense Research Institute
International Association of Defense Counsel
American Bar Association
Member, Conference of Minority Partners in Majority Corporate Law Firms
Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
International Bar Association
Community Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Founder and Advisor, Internet Safety Foundation, a coalition of Colorado educational, corporate, and law enforcement interests whose mission is to be a clearinghouse for Internet safety resources
Colorado Association of Leaders in Educational Technology (CALET)
Outstanding Friend of Technology Award, 2008
National Institute for Trial Advocacy
Deposition Skill Seminars
Aviation, instrument, and multi-engine rated private pilot