Bar and Court Admissions
Natalie West represents sophisticated clients in complex commercial disputes. She regularly serves as the lead brief writer in antitrust cases, employment and consumer class actions, and appellate matters. Natalie’s recent highlights include briefing a $2.1 billion antitrust and labor class action, drafting and winning summary judgment against the named plaintiff in an FLSA collective action, and winning a motion to dismiss a federal antitrust action in New Mexico.
Prior to joining WTO in 2014, Natalie worked in the trial group at Davis Graham & Stubbs and as a litigation associate in the Dallas office of Vinson & Elkins. She also served as a law clerk for The Honorable David C. Godbey of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
Natalie graduated with high honors from the University of Texas School of Law, where she served as a member of the Texas Law Review and was elected to the Order of the Coif. As an undergraduate at American University, she interned in Senator Edward M. Kennedy's press office and in the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Won Montana Supreme Court victory for a health system in a putative consumer class action that challenged its policy of issuing refunds in the form of pre-paid debit cards. The victory affirmed WTO's prior summary judgment win and defeated the plaintiff's new claims on appeal.
- Serving as lead trial counsel for a public utility company in putative antitrust class actions in Colorado and Wisconsin alleging wholesale natural gas price manipulation and seeking damages in excess of $2 billion.
- Beltran v. Noonan et al. (D. Colo. 2019) - Successfully represented multiple defendants in a $2.1 billion federal antitrust and labor class action challenging the au pair exchange program administered by the Department of State. After four years of litigation, and just two months before trial, WTO helped to negotiate settlement for the defense group, resulting in defendants paying only 3% of the demand.
- Successfully opposed conditional certification of an FLSA collective action and won summary judgment against the named plaintiff.
- Won affirmance in the Montana Supreme Court of WTO's summary judgment victory for a health system in a putative consumer class action alleging fraud and consumer deception claims relating to issuance of patient refunds through prepaid debit cards.
- Slavin v. Garrison Prop. & Cas. Ins. (D. Colo. 2018) - Won a defense verdict for USAA/Garrison in a bad faith jury trial in which the plaintiff claimed USAA must pay for a special run of bricks in order to fully repair the plaintiff's home. A 12-member jury unanimously rejected the plaintiff's claims, agreeing that USAA had acted in good faith.
- Won WTO's motion to dismiss a federal antitrust action for a New Mexico healthcare trade association accused of conspiring to exclude healthcare providers from market.
- Allen v. USAA (D. Colo. 2017) - Obtained summary judgment for USAA against a putative class action alleging that USAA's time limitation on Med-Pay benefits violated Colorado law and that USAA failed to disclose the time limitation.
- Kljajic et al. v. Whirlpool (N.D. Ill. 2017) - Defeated class certification amid allegations that 2,000,000 Whirlpool-made ovens were prone to overheat. WTO attorneys disqualified the plaintiffs' expert witness and successfully argued that the claims were overly broad and the plaintiffs' purported theories for failure were too many to achieve certification.
- Won summary judgment for a major ski resort as plaintiff in a contract dispute involving a wireless infrastructure contractor.
- Nguyen v. USAA CIC (D. Colo. 2015) - Defeated putative class claims for bad faith and consumer protection act claims related to time limits for medical payments coverage.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP
Vinson & Elkins LLP
Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program, Inc.
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Colorado Bar Association
Colorado Women's Bar Association
Community Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Board of Directors
Denver Film Society
Board of Directors, 2014-2017
Film and theater, supporting animal rescue organizations, Irish history, and the Houston Astros