Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell represents commercial truck manufacturers and interstate carriers in a wide range of litigation and regulatory matters throughout the nation. The firm has tried or appeared as counsel in trucking industry cases in numerous state and federal courts and assisted in hearings, investigations, and negotiations.
WTO attorneys have the experience to handle claims involving various aspects of the trucking industry, including disputes related to:
- Trucking accidents including catastrophic personal injury and fatality claims
- Department of Transportation and other regulatory agencies
- Insurance coverage
- Unfair business practices
- Franchise and distribution
- Product liability
- Premises liability
- Toxic torts
- Trade secret misappropriation
- Discovery and protection of electronic data
- Class action defense related to employment and business issues
- Serve as lead trial counsel to a leading Las Vegas transportation company for the defense of high-stakes motor vehicle accidents.
- Serve as national coordinating counsel to a major transportation company in FLSA collective action and individual and class wage and hour claims.
- Serving as regional trial counsel to a leading national shipping company for high-stakes trucking litigation.
- Served as appellate monitoring counsel to a national food distributor in a tractor-trailer accident trial in South Carolina.
- Sparta Insurance v. Garfias (E.D. Wash. 2014) - Won a defense verdict in federal court in Spokane, Washington, for Easterday Farms in a $12 million personal injury case involving an explosive collision between two tractor-trailers.
- Defended a trucking company against negligence claims arising from a nine-vehicle accident on a snowy Nebraska interstate highway.
- Represented a large transportation company for several years in its dissolution with a former business partner, and in contract disputes and negotiations with local contracting authorities.
- Successfully settled three separate independent contractor classification matters in Colorado, including a certified class action and a mass action involving 83 plaintiffs.
- Represented a national shipping company in a wrongful death lawsuit filed in Montana involving two of its contract drivers who allegedly struck and killed a firefighter directing traffic in a snowstorm. After more than two years of challenging litigation, WTO was called in four weeks before trial and obtained a favorable settlement.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for a construction company in a trucking wrongful death lawsuit in Georgia.