Bar and Court Admissions
Jack Trigg is known for a long career of high-stakes product liability defense nationwide. Throughout his career, he has served as trial counsel to companies including Ford, Motor Coach Industries, and Volvo. Jack has represented Ford in two certified class action jury trials in California, one lasting four months and the other spanning 10 months.
Jack's national litigation practice focuses on complex business litigation, product liability, and class actions. He represents major corporate defendants as national trial counsel and has tried cases to juries in many state and federal courts during his career. He also focuses on risk-management and design and analysis of document retention and control programs. Additionally, Jack handles large and frequent claims arising out of alleged recurrent design, manufacturing defects, or recall problems.
Active in numerous bar organizations, Jack is past president of Lawyers for Civil Justice and past president and chairman of the board of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel. He is a former member of the board of directors of the Defense Research Institute. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. In 2001 he was awarded the Outstanding Alumnus Award by the University of Denver College of Law. In 2003 he received the first Lifetime Achievement award from the Denver Business Journal's Best of the Bar. Jack is consistently included in lawyer ranking directories such as Chambers USA, The Best Lawyers in America, and Colorado Super Lawyers.
- State Farm v. Griggs, 419 P.3d 572 (Colo. 2018) - Won an "extraordinary remedy" from the Colorado Supreme Court reversing a trial-court order implying a waiver of the attorney-client privilege. The unanimous opinion establishes that the mere "fact that privileged information might become relevant in a given lawsuit could not alone be enough to establish an implied waiver."
- Represented a major commercial insurer in nationwide concussion and traumatic brain injury class action litigation involving the National Collegiate Athletic Association, National Hockey League, and U.S. Soccer Federation.
- Defended a major motorcoach manufacturer in a multiple-fatality rollover crash litigation involving extensive document production.
- Granite State Insurance v. Ken Caryl Ranch Master Association, 183 P.3d 563 (Colo. 2008) - Successfully appealed to the Colorado Supreme Court a case WTO won at the trial court level, but which was reversed by the Colorado Court of Appeals. Following arguments, the Colorado Supreme Court's published opinion restored the complete victory for the insurer in this precedent-setting case of first impression and made it easier for commercial property insurers to understand and follow Colorado's statutory notice requirements.
- In re Ford Explorer Cases (Cal. Sacramento Cnty. Super. Ct. 2007) - Defended Ford Motor Co. in a four-month certified class action trial involving $2 billion in consumer fraud claims. On the day set for closing arguments, the plaintiffs agreed to a no-cash, coupon-based settlement for the California class and classes in three other states with pending parallel actions.
- Represented footwear manufacturer Crocs in nationwide litigation involving allegations of defectively designed footwear and failure to warn with respect to alleged risks associated with wearing the shoes on escalators.
- Won a jury defense verdict in U.S.D.C. for the District of Colorado for an automobile manufacturer in a wrongful death crashworthiness case.
- Represented Ford Motor Co. in a 10-month, nationwide class action jury trial in California involving thick film ignition modules in 12 million vehicles. The trial ended in a hung jury.
- Defended Ford Motor Co. in a Missouri class action involving automobile transmissions.
- Won dismissal for Ford Motor Co. in an Alabama class action involving the Bronco II.
- Represented defendants in the Dupont Plaza Hotel fire that killed 97 people in Puerto Rico.
- Represented defendants in claims relating to the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire, which killed 168 people in Southgate, Kentucky.
- Defended Mobay Chemical Company (then a subsidiary of Bayer) against claims arising from the Sunshine Mine disaster. The catastrophic fire in the Idaho silver mine killed more than 90 miners. After a four-month trial, all claims against Mobay were dismissed.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- "A Sensitive Accusation: Malingering in brain injury cases easy to claim, difficult to prove," Law Week Colorado, (January 21, 2019).
"Protecting Your Company in Global Product Litigation Concerning Foreign Imports: What Happens When the Attorney General Gets Involved?," presented at Product Liability Advisory Council Spring Conference, (April 9, 2008).
"Overview and Psychology of a Personal Injury Damage Case," presented for Trial Masters Program at Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel Winter meeting, (March 2007).
"Unfair Competition Laws and Attorney General Investigations," presented at Product Liability Advisory Council, (April 2005).
"Privileges and Protections Under Assault," presented at Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel's Corporate Counsel Symposium, (September 10, 2004).
"Truth v. Perception - Personal Litigation Experience: Media Influence on Litigation," presented at Trial Attorneys of America, (June 2004).
"Product and Drug Liability in the European Economic Community," presented at Joint International Conference, Barcelona, Spain, FDCC/IADC/DRI, (May 10, 2004).
"Litigation Theories of the Future," presented at Defense Research Institute, (2004).
"Powerpoint in the Courtroom," presented at Faculty of Federal Advocates, (September 20, 2002).
"Locating the Line Between Police Power and Regulatory Power: Judicial Authority to Issue Mandatory Recall Injunctions," presented at Emerging Issues in Motor Vehicle Product Liability Litigation Conference, (March 21, 2002).
"Erosion of Confidentiality Protective Orders and Its Impact on Corporations and Litigation," presented at a joint presentation by the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel and the Lawyers for Civil Justice at the FDCC, (2002).
"Perils and Pitfalls of California's Unfair Competition Law Bus. and Prof. Code § 17200," presented at International Association of Defense Counsel midyear meeting, (February 2001).
"Chairman; Opening Remarks," presented at Lawyers for Civil Justice 2000 New York Conference and Meeting, (November 9, 2000).
"Common Discovery Tactics Used by Plaintiff's Attorneys and Methods to Combat Them," presented at the Defense Research Institute Conference, (1998).
"Ethics and Risks in Litigation," presented at the Federation of Insurance and Corporate Counsel Conference, (1998).
"Crime Fraud," presented at Defense Research Institute, (October 11, 1996).
"Litigation Management: Whose Responsibility?," presented at Federation of Insurance and Corporate Counsel Litigation Management College, (June 24, 1996).
"The Lawyer's Role is to Produce a Winner," presented at American Bar Association Conference, (1995).
"Handling Comparative Fault in Enhanced Injury Cases," presented at National Conference on Products Liability Law, (March 26, 1993).
"Ethical Considerations in Defending International Clients," presented at Federation of Insurance and Corporate Counsel, (February 24, 1993).
"Product Liability in Colorado in 1988: A Look at the Statutes and Case Law," presented at Hall & Evans Litigation Seminar, (1988).
- Chambers USA 2020: WTO Leads Nationwide, Colorado
- 27 WTO Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America 2019
- WTO Leads Top 100 in Colorado Super Lawyers
- 26 WTO Lawyers ranked in the 24th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
- Who's Who Legal Names Seven from WTO for Product Liability Defense
- Chambers USA 2017 recognizes Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell among the top litigation firms nationwide and in Colorado
- 42 WTO Lawyers Named to the 2017 Colorado Super Lawyers List
- 20 WTO Lawyers ranked in the 23rd Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®
- Chambers USA 2016 Ranks WTO Among Top Firms Nationwide and in Colorado
- 20 WTO Lawyers ranked in the 22nd Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®
- WTO Leads the Nation for Ranked Lawyers in Product Liability & Mass Torts Defense in Chambers USA 2015
- Legal 500 US Ranks Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell in Three Areas Nationwide
- University of Denver Magazine, "Practice-Ready DU Law Grads are Building Colorado's Legal Community," December 15, 2014.
- Best Lawyers® 2015 Ranks 20 WTO Attorneys
- Founding Partner Jack Trigg Celebrates 50 Years of Practice
- Legal 500 US Ranks WTO as One of Two Top Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense Firms in the Automotive Industry
- Legal 500 U.S. 2008 Calls WTO "Best Firm for Class Actions"
- WTO a Top 20 U.S. Product Liability Law Firm per Chambers USA
- Colorado Supreme Court Rules for Commercial Property Insurer
- Internationally Recognized Product Liability Lawyers
- Three WTO Lawyers Nominated for Best of the Bar; Trigg Wins Lifetime Achievement Award
- Trigg Wins Lifetime Achievement Award, Denv. Bus. J., Sept. 12-18, 2003
- Jack Trigg Selected as a "Master" by DU Alumni Association
- Trigg Named to Board of Tort Reform Group
- Trigg Named Outstanding Alumnus by DU College of Law
- John R. Trigg Elected President of Lawyers for Civil Justice
Legal Memberships, Activities, and Honors
American College of Trial Lawyers
Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
Past President and Chairman of the Board
The International Who's Who of Product Liability Defense Lawyers,
1997-2011, 2014, 2016-2017, 2019
The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers: Commercial Litigation,
The International Who's Who of Life Sciences Lawyers, 2011-2014, 2016-2017
Product Liability - National, 2005-2020
The Best Lawyers in America
Commercial Litigation, 2008-2022
Product Liability Litigation, 2008-2022
The Legal 500 United States
Litigation: Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense, 2007-2013, 2015
Colorado Super Lawyers
Class Action/Mass Torts, 2006-2022
Top 100, 2012-2014, 2016-2017
Top 50, 2010-2011
Law Week Colorado
"People's Choice" Best Overall Litigator, 2010
Denver Business Journal
Lifetime Achievement Award
Who's Who in Law
University of Denver Sturm College of Law
Outstanding Alumni Award, 2001
Euromoney's Expert Guides - Litigation and Product Liability
Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
Trial Attorneys of America
Colorado Bar Association
Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
University of Denver
Strategic Issues Panel on Legislative Accountability, 2015
Denver Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Former Member, Board of Directors
Joint Project on Professionalism of the DRI/IADC/ADTA/FDCC
Lawyers for Civil Justice
Former Member, Board of Directors
United States District Court for the District of Colorado
Committee on Conduct
Product Liability Advisory Council
Community Memberships, Activities, and Honors
Colorado Prevention Center
Chairman of the Board
Cherry Hills Country Club
Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
Litigation Management College