Bob Mason brings 30 years of experience to his trial presentation and support services and has assisted with more than 200 jury and bench trials, mock trials, and mediations. Bob's courtroom experience includes large, complex matters with multiple defendants and multibillion-dollar exposures.
Demonstrated Courtroom Experience
Bob supports WTO lawyers and their clients with sophisticated, persuasive multimedia content that hits the mark with judges and juries. He routinely creates images that help communicate complex, often technical, concepts in clear, digestible formats. Bob has used his skills to develop exhaustive timelines that help juries appreciate crucial moments at issue in a dispute or undermine the evidence presented by opposing counsel. He similarly creates virtual and physical models of intricate equipment to demonstrate how a plaintiffs' theory regarding a defect or accident falls short of the reality.
Furthermore, Bob tailors presentations to each unique courtroom layout. With his many years of experience inside courtrooms during trial, Bob has gained extremely valuable insights working with courtroom staff; firm lawyers, clients, and expert witnesses; and even opposing counsel to design technology solutions that serve our clients well in court. These same practices also improve presentation of key themes and evidence during arbitrations and mediations.
Smart Use of Technology
With constant, rapid change in technology and its related opportunities, Bob continually monitors and explores emerging tools that improve the courtroom experience (such as fully integrated wireless systems) while reducing setup time and costs, improve functionality and reliability of hardware systems, and offer simpler and more intuitive use of software and hardware for seamless presentation of evidence. In addition to trial presentation software, Bob has extensive knowledge of and experience with 3-D modeling and printing. He is currently working to improve delivery of content through virtual reality.
- Won a defense jury verdict in New Mexico for USAA against underinsured motorist claims following a 2013 car accident. The jury found that the plaintiffs' alleged injuries were unrelated to the accident and decided in USAA's favor in less than 30 minutes.
- Won a complete defense jury verdict for a major auto parts manufacturer in federal court in Kentucky. WTO was called in just six months before trial in this protracted contract dispute that had already included two trips to the Sixth Circuit.
- Stillwater Mining Co. v. Power Mount, Inc. (D. Colo. 2017) - Won a complete defense ruling for a heavy metals supplier after a week-long bench trial involving a breach of contract claim in which the plaintiff sought $28 million.
- Won a defense verdict for a national carrier against a claim of negligent misrepresentation after a contentious appeal. After prevailing on eight claims on summary judgment, one claim was remanded for trial after an appeal. WTO's client won on the final claim after a six-day jury trial in Boulder County.
- Dukes v. Michelin (Nineteenth Jud. Cir. St. Lucie Cnty. FL 2016) - Won a complete defense jury verdict for Michelin following a nine-week product liability trial in Florida in which the plaintiffs requested damages between $80 million and $1.2 billion following a rollover accident involving Michelin tires. WTO also won the appeal.
- General Steel v. Armstrong Steel (D. Colo. 2016) - Won a jury verdict for Armstrong Steel against claims of false advertising and defamation in a two-week trial in federal court in Colorado. A competitor of Armstrong sought millions of dollars.
- Atkission v. FCA US LLC (2016) - Successfully represented FCA in a one-week trial involving a dealer's wrongful termination claim under Texas statute, resulting in an 81-page favorable proposed decision at the trial level.
- Hooman v. FCA US LLC (2016) - Successfully represented FCA in a one-week trial in California involving a dealer's claim regarding an allegedly improper sales incentive audit. WTO achieved a successful proposed decision at the trial level, which it successfully defended before the Board, receiving complete affirmation of the proposed order. WTO later successfully defended the Board's adoption of the proposed order in a subsequent writ filed by the dealer.
- Dependable Dodge v. FCA US LLC (2016) - Represented FCA in a three-week trial involving a dealer's wrongful termination claim under California statute.
- Allen v. Michelin (Ariz. Sup. Ct. Mohave Cnty. 2015) - Won a unanimous defense verdict for Michelin following a three-week trial in Arizona state court in which the plaintiff demanded $20 million in actual and punitive damages.
- Howard v. Bottling Group (Colo. Douglas Cnty. Dist. Ct. 2015) - Won a defense verdict for Pepsi Bottling Group in a six-day jury trial. The plaintiff claimed a traumatic brain injury as a result of being struck with falling merchandise from a retail display. WTO's client was one of two defendants in the litigation, and the jury assigned no fault to our client.
- Successfully defended an insurer in an insurance bad faith and breach of contract trial arising out of the devastating Waldo Canyon wildfire of 2012. The plaintiff voluntarily dismissed one claim the morning of trial, lost another claim, and was awarded just five figures on the third claim after having demanded more than $1 million.
- Mathew Enterprise v. Chrysler Group (Cal. Super. Ct. Santa Clara Cnty. 2015) - Won a complete defense decision following a month-long, California trial for Chrysler Group and Chrysler Realty in a five-year, $50 million lawsuit including statutory, fraud, and contract claims.
- Won a complete defense jury verdict in a $12 million legal malpractice case. The jury found in favor of WTO's client on all claims and also awarded unpaid legal fees owed by plaintiffs.
- Won a complete defense jury verdict in federal court for a large international law firm accused of malpractice. The plaintiff hired WTO's client to handle a complex patent infringement matter, then sued the firm for negligence and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Won an arbitration award for future oil and gas royalties valued between $70,000,000 and $100,000,000 in a David v. Goliath case against a multinational oil company.
- Sipes v. Allstate Indemnity (D. Colo. 2013) - Won a complete defense verdict in a bad faith matter for Allstate before the United States District Court for the District of Colorado.
Trial Resources, Inc., Owner
Holme Roberts Owen, Trial Presentation Support
Parcel Mauro Hultin and Spaanstra, Litigation Paralegal
Grant McHenrie Haines and Crouse, Litigation Paralegal